Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Bird Is The Word

Tags:

Here's something that brought a smile to my face today. I must admit that since my last post about M.I.A. I hadn't been keeping up with her... until today. While searching for any recent news about Avian Flu, I bumped into M.I.A.'s music video, "Bird Flu."

Obtusity Blogs this about M.I.A.:
"M.I.A. (Maya Arulpragasam) is an artist that embraces difference as a tool for spreading knowledge. Everything from the clothes she wears to the literal sound of her music is engineered to stand out amongst an increasingly cookie-cut crowd. Her purpose is not merely to be a unique artist, but she is unique precisely because her artistry seems to have purpose. With the video for "Bird Flu," a new song from her upcoming sophomore album, she has a number of things of social and political consequence on her mind."
From M.I.A.'s record company:
Hailing from Sri Lanka via London, M.I.A. is Maya Arulpragasam. Her early underground singles, ‘Galang’ and ‘Sunshowers’, shocked listeners with sharp lyrics about urban unease thrown on top of raw beats you could dance to, and in late 2004, as she finished her debut album for XL Recordings, she released a hip-hop style promotional mixtape showcasing her distinctive vocal style and quirky rapping over dancehall rhythms and instrumental tracks by platinum artists like Missy Elliot and Jay-Z. As a collaboration with another buzz artist (Philly's DJ/producer Diplo), the Piracy Funds Terrorism Vol. 1 mixtape had roughly the same effect as gasoline on an open fire; the project made many critics' "best of" list for 2004 while simultaneously cementing her proper album Arular as the most anticipated release of 2005.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics