Thursday, June 07, 2007

Around The Blogosphere 07June 07

Back in February, I had the pleasure of interviewing internationally acclaimed Kenyan author Binyavanga Wainaina. Wainaina is a writer, cultural activist and publicist. He was the founding editor and publisher of Kwani?. He won The Caine Prize for African Writing in 2002. Outside his literary career, he is a leading authority on African cuisine.

Tags:
, , , , , ,


The water cooler talk in offices across America, one of the lead stories on BBC radio news, was also hung out to dry in the blogosphere: from The Albany Project:
Paris Hilton Freed, American "Justice" Jumps Shark
by: lipris
Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 19:48:11 PM EDT
"I'm breaking one of my long time, self imposed blogging rules here, but, dammit, this story illustrates in the starkest relief possible just how truly twisted and empty our system(s) of "justice" have become. I know that it has always been better to be guilty and rich than innocent in poor in this country. I get it."

Dan Gillmor wrote an op-ed which appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle today. It’s called “Journalism isn’t dying, it’s reviving.”

A few months back I interviewed Binyavanga Wainaina: the Kenyan writer is making news on two fronts: Bin was one of the speakers at the TED Global Conference in Tanzania (see Nigeria: Chris Abani inspires at TED Global 2007 and TED Global 2007 – Day 3: An inspiring day ) ... Wainaina is also featured in in Vanity Fair’s special issue devoted to Africa, out this week. His piece, “Generation Kenya,” is a deeply personal tale about growing up on the world’s second-largest continent and the media’s insistence on treating Africa’s 53 countries as a “vast, hopeless mass.”

Bono, of the music group U2, served as guest editor for the issue, which has 20 different covers featuring prominent folk like Muhammad Ali, Desmond Tutu, Maya Angelou, George W. Bush and Madonna.
Vanity Fair has a circulation of 1.2 million. This is the second national magazine to feature Wainaina’s writing this spring; he also wrote an essay for the current issue of Harper’s.

In May, Wainaina was a finalist for a National Magazine Award, the magazine industry’s highest honor. Wainaina, 36, was nominated in the Fiction category, which honors the quality of a publication’s literary selections. Wainaina’s piece, “Ships in High Transit,” was selected as part of the entry for The Virginia Quarterly Review. His story had already won the literary journal’s top short fiction prize for 2006. Here are a few more "Bin" links:

Interview I
Interview II
Related:
Kenya: Citizens Named Global Leaders
Kwani?
Kwani on the Net

Should you stop by Wendy Cheng's Xiaxue blog you'll find her referencing a post detailing her first venture into commercialized or sponsored blogging. Wendy mentions that she feels she's not getting all the credit she's due. I think that's a valid point. Wendy also invented the term "blogders" which is short for "blog readers." I borrowed the phrase and use it as the name of MyBlogLog's Community Group. Hope that's okay with you, Wendy.

There are many blogs dedicated to online marketing, something I intend to explore a bit more. My little blog is kinda like a magazine or newspaper, so I don't have any issue adding content involving marketing. Personal Finance blogs are also quite popular, but I don't plan on revealing intimate financial details like some PF bloggers do. In my sidebar I've added some PF blogs that I read, and I may soon add a few marketing blogs. I think it's okay to make a little money with your blog if you can (except I don't like 'tip jars') and I notice the marketing bloggers make good use of the "community" or social network style groups. They call that "niche" blogging. I like a more open style, so if this is your first or 101st visit here, be prepared for wonderful new posts on a variety of topics I haven't previously covered.

Lotta Holmström: PodCamp Europe is coming up in ten days (June 12-13, in Stockholm, Sweden), and by the looks of it it will be a cool event.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics