Saturday, June 09, 2007

Bloggers Under Fire

Tags: ,

Sudanese blogger Kizzie got into a tiff with an Australian blogger over an article she posted regarding Female Genital Mutilation:

Female genital mutilation: An Islamic practice.
This post is a reply to a guest post over at Pommygranate’s blog, by Kizzie, a Sudanese Muslim woman, who currently resides in Cairo. In her post Kizzie tries to show that Female Genital Mutilation is not an Islamic practice, but rather a cultural one, partly basing her argument on the premise that the two are mutually exclusive. However, although FGM is a certainly a cultural practice that predates Islam, it is also an Islamic practice, which is what I am going to show below.
The reason that a Sudanese Muslim woman came to be guest-blogging on Pommygranate’s site, by the way, is the debate that has raged this week across the Australian blogosphere in the wake of Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s visit here last week.
[
read the entire article on 'Tao Of Defiance' blog]

Next day, Kizzie posted "A reply to Popovich's post about FGM "

I have to admit that his reply was well-searched and well-written however, I
would like to point out a few things...
Over in the island nation of Singapore, scroll down Wendy Cheng's XiaXue blog and surely you'll find a post about somebody who pissed her off: recently some readers made an issue out of the fact that Asian Wendy has an Anglo boyfriend:
Wooooooo... Some of you think you are oh-so-smart in pointing out that I have an angmoh boyfriend, and therefore, I am the same as these cheap sluts!!!

Some pointers for you stupid people here:

1) I didn't go after Mike using means of low-class seduction - he was the one interested in me first.

2) We are age-appropriate.

3) Our incomes are on par (well, at least for this well-paying month), but even if it is not, I can still well pay for myself. I do not use my boyfriend as an atm machine.

4) Our intellectual standards are on par. Argue all you want and say I am stupid, but a Mensa membership does not lie.

5) I am at least a celebrity in Singapore - I don't know about you guys, when even in America I suppose that means I earn my own money and don't have to hanker after angmoh men for theirs.

6) Mike was a student when I met him and was quite poor beyond words.

7) Both of us are not ugly. (You guys only say I am ugly because you think I think I'm very pretty and you want to correct my thinking. It is not working.)

DOES IT STILL SEEM LIKE THE SAME F****** SITUATION TO YOU??

Barking mad idiots.

AND FOR THE F****** LAST TIME, STOP SAYING STUPID THINGS LIKE, "Stop being so proud of having a caucasian boyfriend, it is nothing to be proud of."

??????

Since when did I ever say I am proud of his race?
It's fascinating how people love to twist the truth around just to taunt others! Same thing happened to me, in a different way in recent posts on this blog regarding Diva de Loayza's bicycle accident.

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics