Sunday, June 17, 2007

From Sudan to the USA, the Hard Way

Banak Thiwat received his American citizenship this year on April 27.

Tags: ,

For many seniors, graduation is filled with memories of elementary school, cafeteria lunches, hide-and-seek on the playground, football games, math tests, and first loves. For Banak Thiwat, the journey to graduation took a different road, one that began on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Thiwat, 19, a graduate of North Yarmouth Academy, was raised by his grandmother on a farm in Sudan. When he was 7, his father, fearing for the safety of his family in a country torn by civil war, starvation and diseases, took Thiwat and Thiwat's younger stepsister across the border to Ethiopia. To reach the refugee camp there, they had to walk for weeks, mostly at night to avoid being detected.

"It was a life-or-death situation," Thiwat said. "My father wanted us to get out, find a safer place and get an education."

Today, we meet high school graduates like Thiwat who've taken amazing journeys, and have awed people, including those much older than them, with their tenacity, bravery and wisdom... [continues]


Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. touching story.
    It will take Sudan many decades to recover from the civilwars. It will take many sudanese generations n generations to recover from the 2nd civil war.
    As a northern, I would like to say that I was 100% against the war like many others but noone listened to us.The only reason young men went to war is becuase they couldnt attend uni if they didnt!

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics