Thursday, June 14, 2007

RIP Elsa Serfass

Tags: , , ,

The United Nations has suspended aid [Fr] to northwestern Cameroon following the shooting death [Fr] of a 27 year-old Doctors Without Borders volunteer, Alliance Pour La Democratie et Le Progres reports:

The United Nations suspended their humane operations in the North-West of Central Africa Tuesday, shortly after the death of an employee of French organization MSF.

27-year old Elsa Serfass, logistician of Doctors without Borders, was killed by shootings against a vehicle of his organization close to Paoua.

“I condemn the murder of any humane worker and I decided to suspend all displacements of the United Nations with Paoua as long as we will not have a clearer vision of what occurred”, declared Toby Lanzer, coordinator humane of UNO in Central Africa.
Elsa, a French citizen, was travelling with two other Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) staff to Ngaoundai for the purpose of evaluating the health needs in the area. The rebel group the Popular Army for the Restoration of Democracy (APRD), is known to be active in this region. MSF duly informed, in advance leaders of this group as well as the other parties to the conflict, of the team's movements. Elsa and her colleagues were travelling in a vehicle clearly identified with the MSF logo.

They had driven past several villages on the road, two of which were burnt to the ground, and were just south of the village Bong when two shots were fired at the car. One of these hit the back left side of the vehicle where Elsa was sitting, and she was fatally wounded. The two other passengers were not injured.
Show Comments: OR

2 comments:

  1. Dave Lucas,
    Cameroon and The Central African Republic are two separate countries. Cameroon has nothing to do with what happened to Elsa Serfass; she passed away in Paoua, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC. Cameroon is a peaceful and stable country; there are no rebel groups operating there. Therefore, UN did NOT suspend aid in Cameroon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francisca is correct. I'm reading an annual report from MSF right now, and the death and consequent suspension occurred in Central African Republic.

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics