Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What's Going On

Tags: , , , , ,

From the Albany Project: Race for War Kids -

While serving in Iraq, I witnessed firsthand the devastation that war brings to a country. In 2003, I visited St. Hannah's Orphanage when a nun took me aside and requested that I and my fellow soldiers not return to the orphanage which we had supported in previous months. The insurgents threatened to kill all of the children if we ever visited the orphanage again. This and many other horrific moments inspired me to conceive a program that provides aid and assistance to Iraq's war kids. That's why I started War Kids Relief. There's More...

South African soldier / peacekeeper / blogger Werner Klokow recently returned home from Darfur, Sudan: “Driving from the airport in Johannesburg to Pretoria. What a sweet feeling to be back home. After three days of demobilisation we were allowed to go to our homes. Even though I was happy to arrive home I am still thinking about the people of Darfur. My thoughts are with you.”

Writeous Sister Speaks bookblogs Review: The Scar of David:

This first novel by Palestinian author Susan Abulhawa is amazing. The Scar of David may actually be one of the most important pieces of contemporary literature. At once a difficult and emotional read, it is also about hope for an abused people. There is so much life contained within its pages, that those who think that the Palestinian people are only about death and martyrdom will be
shocked
.

Pssssst! Governor Spitzer! Studies say death penalty does deter crime!

Excellent post on BuzzMachine:Ancient river of news:

Contemplating the Guardian’s 50,000th edition, it occurs to Charlie Beckett that early newspapers were a lot like RSS:
Dr. Pepper wants in at Quinceañeras (pop targets Latina teens with a sweepstakes where the winner gets a free performance by Mexican pop singer Frankie J at her quinceañera ball) (AdWeek)

Times Union writer Tim O'Brien blogs about how Capital Regionites can get a piece of Public Library in Don’t borrow the books, buy the shelves

NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg is considering a residential parking permit plan...

Hillary Clinton has a new look.

The Haitian Eclectic links to the trailer of a Haitian film that “follows two gang leaders who took over a slum in Haiti right before Aristide’s 2004 forced exit.”

Drop Tube: Reel Pop on how new hip hop magazine Drop is putting video interviews on YouTube.

Safari for Windows?Why Not!. Makes perfect sense to surf the popularity wave : marketeers understand the way to get x number of users to gravitate to a particular browser is to bundle it.


Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dave! Thanks for including my review of The Scar of David. I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know what you think if you read the book! :)

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics