Monday, June 25, 2007

Will Hip Videos Play In Peoria?

Tags: , ,

A ridiculous rant by a ridiculous woman: townhall.com columnist Kathleen Parker's "Will hip videos play in Peoria?" appears in the Weekend Times Union. First of all, don't be fooled by the old "Ask Abby" style photo: I've posted one from 2005.

Parker swoops down on Hillary Clinton's popular Sopranos-spoof video.
"Everyday people, in other words, are too busy getting to work, raising children and going to their respective houses of worship to monitor the virtual world where Gravel (who is running for president, by the way), Clinton and other presidential candidates have posted about 900 political videos."
Really? Get with the times, Parker! EVRYBODY I know, from tweens to seniors, are ONLINE on a regular basis. I and a few colleagues follow politics on the net, and we've never heard of this "Gravel" individual. I asked around, and not too many of the net-savvy people I know were familiar with Gravel. (They ALL had heard of and many had viewed the Clinton video.)

Here is Parkers BIGGEST mistake:
"'So what's the winning song? ... My money is on Smash Mouth,' says the former prez.

No cheating: Who or what is Smash Mouth? Even if you know, this pop reference is clearly aimed at younger folks who are the primary audience and producers of YouTube. Translation: The Clintons are cool." Duh... everybody knows "Smashmouth" (except YOU, Parker!) And we all knew already that the Clintons ARE cool!
Parker: "It's all rather insider stuff and has not much to do with the real world in which most Americans dwell."

Me: Wow, are you missing it! The video hits home and has EVERYTHING to do with the real world in which most Americans dwell."

Parker's off on the Gravel thing for the rest of the article, an indicator that, in true townhall.com style, she's using Gravel as a tool to cast Hillary in an unflattering light.

"Candidates can't afford to ignore either, but ultimately they're forced to present two different faces to two different audiences -- the plugged and the unplugged, the hip and the un-hip." The Clintons appeal to both sides of the fence Parker built.

Parker sums it up by writing "Come Election Day, it may not be so cool to be so cool."

Right.

OOoops, did we borrow the title of our article from another?
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics