Thursday, July 12, 2007

Backup Your Blog [Revisited]

This post was written to be found at some later date by bloggers who find themselves discouraged after losing a post or having their blog hijacked or having fallen victim to some other server related malady. I feel for ya! Don't give up! Use this opportunity to seek out alternatives and back-ups. Find a service you like or something you feel makes your blog a better blog, then be sure to look for another like it that you can use as back-up!

Tags: ,

Scenario: you’ve just finished writing an absolutely brilliant post, and the server connection to your online blogging tool goes down. You click save, and lose your work.

This comes up every now and then, every few months or so. It happens with Blogger, TypePad and other major blogging services, free and paid alike. Downtime. Dedicated bloggers just can't seem to deal with it. Computers are machines. Machines sometimes malfunction. There are "unforeseeables" that come into play.

When bloggers get annoyed...
Doesn't this ALWAYS seem to be the case? "Some of the best traffic I've ever had and typepad goes tits up..." ore else you're HOTblogging a current event and suddenly, Technorati "forgets" your blog... ScReAmS!

Do you back up your blog? A backup could be as simple as printing as paper copy of your latest post or as complex as keeping a complete copy (mirror) of your blog on your computer's harddrive. The real question is, if your blog template was wiped clean today, how would you feel about it?

At the very least you may want to copy your template (easy if you use blogger / blog*spot as your platform) and keep that copy on a diskette AND "suspend" a copy by emailing it to yourself (if you use gmail or hotmail or juno) and leaving it there in your email.

Here's some related material I pulled up from my archives site:
How to back-up a Blog
Backup Your Blog!
Bloglines down!
Hey Blogger! S-O-S!

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics