Monday, July 30, 2007

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Some people say the end of July into the beginning of August is the "real" summertime. Those "lazy hazy crazy days" when life slows down "and the livin' is easy". In my case, things slowed to a crawl over the weekend thanks to that killer toothache (which I'm still dealing with). I ran into a former co-worker who now sells stuff fulltime via eBay and Amazon. He was telling me that right now he has over 9,000 items listed across the two services, but he's only selling about 30 items a week (compared to more than 30 a day in Winter). Let's face it, most people aren't spending as much time online in summer (even bloggers are uploading shorter posts) save for jumping on the computer very early in the morning or very late at night. I wonder if this is peculiar to North American culture. In places like Mexico, South America, Singapore and India, it's hot all the time, so I suppose there's nothing climactic (short of a monsoon) that really affects people's time online. I was perusing several US & Canadian blogs over the weekend and noticed the size and number of posts seems to be down. So, perhaps the lazy hazies are days when we're too busy having fun or vacationing or introspecting to bother with much of anything else. I did find a couple of items on Global Voices which you'll find below. There's a video that's on YouTube right now (I'm sorry I didn't keep the URL) for one of the great songs of summer "It's Summer" by War. It's one of those songs you won't hear on corporate controlled radio. It's there, you may have to search for it. I've found that there's a lot of video on YouTube that the standard YT search won't pull up. I think it depends on information the uploader keys in as to how it all gets sorted.

Joshua joins the “Stop trying to save Africa” debate: “Those in the Afro-blogosphere have heard these points many times, though they seem to stick more when they come from a provocative headline penned by a much acclaimed young novelist whose classmates (he graduated from Harvard in 2005) are the ‘perky young blondes’ working on Save Darfur and other post-9/11 youth led grassroots movements. I want to address one particular subtle point that Uzo makes.”

Cathy introduces her new venture that reduces plastic waste by creating their own range of fashion conscious reusable shopping bags. “Our initial step is to get Filipino shoppers into the habit of refusing plastic bags when they shop. Our next step is to create even more bags which will have more of a statement and function beyond what can be seen.”

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics