Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Around The Blogosphere 08 January 08

In some southeast Asian countries, turning 30 is similar to turning 80 in the U.S. - Wendy Cheng writes in her XiaXue blog that realisation has set in: she's in her mid-20s, fast approaching the "Auntie" stages...
"I'm freaking 24 can? This year!

I AM OFFICIALLY MID-TWENTIES.

I cannot even twist the truth reasonably and say I am early twenties anymore!

When Forever 21 started, I was 20, and I went into that shop and felt I was dressing old - and then I turned 21 and I went in there and I was like, "This is apt, I AM 21."

AND NOW I'M STILL STUCK SHOPPING THERE, TOO OLD FOR THE BRAND!!!"
Discussions between Chinese bloggers over what new online video regulations will mean if they are implemented later this month, have brought erotic and violent content, which are widely accessible on the Chinese-language internet, under the spotlight.

In News Of The Day, Liz Benjamin blogs that the voting has already started in the New Hampshire primaries. Residents in two small towns cast their ballots; Barack Obama and John McCain were the winners (in one case, Hillary Clinton got not a single vote).

McCain and Obama share an appeal to youth.

Clinton, who publicly showed signs of strain on the campaign trail yesterday, is bracing herself for another big loss to Obama as some associates have begun to lobby her to drop out.

Clinton's teary moment echoed another Granite State meltdown experienced by Edmund Muskie in 1972.

A disappointed Clinton is likely to stick it out until Super Duper Tuesday.

Major Andrew Olmsted, who had blogged here since May 2007, was killed in Iraq on Thursday, January 3. No official details have been released on his death, but reports say that he and a second member of his unit were killed during an enemy ambush in Diyala province, northeast of Baghdad.

[es]Cinencuentro was one of the first blogs dedicated to film in Peru. Juan Arellano interviewed two of the blog site's members Lucho Ramos and Laslo Rojas for an article on the site BlogsPerú [es]. This is an excerpt of the interview and to read the entire article in Spanish, please visit the original link [es].

Whitney Matheson writes "Here's another good thing to come out of the writers' strike: Why We Write, a blog featuring essays by striking film and TV writers."

Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel will appear on each other’s shows on Thursday. The New York Times reports. Also in the NYT: “Hackers are welcome! Here are detailed circuit diagrams of our products - modify them as you wish.” That’s not an announcement you’ll find on the Web sites of most consumer electronics manufacturers, who tend to keep information on the innards of their machines as private as possible. But Neuros Technology International, creator of a new video recorder, has decided to go in a different direction.

Tags: , ,

Show Comments: OR

2 comments:

  1. Uhhhh interesting! :)

    Dave, I´ve back. Hope we continue in touch this 2008.

    A hug ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the informative reading. You dont interpret the life but depict it. Your post urges the digging deeper - calls to think
    Thank you
    I would greatly appreciate your visit to my blogs. Your feedback would make my day.
    Thank you once more in advance.

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics