Friday, August 29, 2008

DNC my POV Conclusion

Some TV network announcers say the Obama nomination is MLK's "dream realized." Some TV networks went to great lengths to ferret out Obama supporters who compare Barack to JFK. My advice to them is not to use other people as yardsticks by which to measure accomplishments or capabilities. Obama may certainly be the first mile-marker on the roadway to realizing the dream, but please admire / appreciate him for his own personality. As I've written many times about wanna-be celebrities, they rarely ascend when the press constantly refers to them as "the next so-and-so" --- one should never aspire to be "the next so-and-so" and if the press tells it that way, correct them immediately. Be a UNIQUE individual, not a "re-mix" or "re-imagining" of somebody else.

Scroll down to read all of my DNC-related posts. I'm pretty satisfied with everything I've written. I think had Obama stripped the anti-McCain stuff out of his stadium speech and added a pinch of "something" he would indeed have delivered a blockbuster. The negativity surrounding mentioning McCain drained the positive energy out of the rest of the speech, and it seems the media was attracted to the anti-McCain rhetoric. Obama made more than a few incredibly good electrifying statements but they are all lost, it seems, as all I hear on the morning news is how "Obama used the occasion to launch a series of attacks on John McCain" and "Obama spanks McCain onstage" and, well, you get the idea. Without that negative stuff, I'll betcha Obama would have soared many points ahead of McCain in the polls. Instead, he'll draw a 5 to 8 point surge which will recede when the RNC begins.

I had a heated discussion with someone last night over the November election. I was trying to make the point that nothing is set in stone. Use your imagination to visualize any of a series of events that could change the entire contest. The case I tried to make: what if one or both of the candidates should die? At first I was going to say suppose Obama was in a plane crash or some wacko group shot him and suppose McCain passed away in his sleep. But those are too expected, too obvious.

Suppose Obama just suddenly died in his sleep. Yeah, he's a young man, but it has happened to people younger than he. Suppose McCain suffered a debilitating stroke. Now what would the two parties do? Bump the VP nominees up to P?

Here's another scenario (far-fetched, of course): a nuclear terrorist event on American soil in October. George Bush suspends the election indefinitely under Martial Law.

Less far-fetched: one of these hurricanes or another does serious damage to the southern state oil rigs. Gas skyrockets to $5 a gallon. The stock market looks like it's collapsing and suddenly (a la Indymac) banks begin to fail, people line up to get their money out, rioting begins in some cities... yup - Martial Law.

Scenario most likely: NOTHING will happen. We'll arrive at election day with both candidates and the nation intact. We'll vote. The Electoral College will vote. We'll see who wins.

But don't count those "wild card" situations out. And if there IS one, I'll betcha it won't be any one of the events I made up above. It'll be something totally unexpected.

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics