Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Izzy and the Brain

Daniel Tammet

My digital friend Isabella is going through tough times: we've all had those!
I’m not happy. I’m throughly unhappy. I’m just getting by with forcing myself through day after day.
I wrote to her: "ah, "no escape." I have been there - many times. You need an epiphany or a visualization of your situation. Watch the segment "Brain Man" about a fellow who perceives numbers as coloured clouds. Try to meditate and turn YOUR THOUGHTS into colours, then reassemble them into more pleasant arrangements."

Optimnem is the official site of Daniel Tammet. Read about his life and achievements and find out more about his memoir: Born On A Blue Day and the award-winning documentary programme about his amazing savant abilities Brainman/The Boy With The Incredible Brain. You can find photographs, reviews and media reports as well as online language courses, a learning and games section and a regularly updated blog.

I decided to leave a short note on Daniel's blog:

Hello Daniel!

I watched online video of you drawing what numbers look like to you in your mind. This brought back an incredible memory for me: when I was in college, I kept a small notebook for biology class which I updated daily from my badly handwritten notes. I'd do my updates in the evening, using coloured pens to list all the information and even draw diagrams. Once I completed the day's work, I would not look at it again until the night before testing. I would not dwell on, but simply read each page ONCE, and then close the book, put it out of my mind, and go to sleep. Come the following day, I would score between 95 and 100 per cent on the exam! I wonder if there is a way a person could "learn" your numbers colour system: perhaps it lies somewhere in human brain circuitry?

Dave Lucas
The “Lady Pi” image as explained by Mike Keith, with a neat graph on the statistical distribution of zeros in the binary digits of Pi.

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics