Tuesday, August 19, 2008

MediaWatch 19 August 08

An exciting time coming for newsrooms across the land: the conventions! How many news reporters will major news organizations send to the presidential conventions? Forbes and Politico report.

In 2004, the Democratic National Convention offered press credentials to about 30 bloggers. Back then, even though the blogosphere was already burgeoning, they were treated as a sideshow. News coverage looked at these online commentators like zoo animals - showing them furiously typing away in corners of the convention hall. This time around, blogs have come of age and the Democrats are bending over backward to open the doors of Denver's Pepsi Center to bloggers for the Aug. 25-28 event. More than 120 blogs will be represented at the convention. Of course, many of the 15,000-odd traditional journalists will also be blogging on the side.[KansasCity.com has more]

Leonard Witt puts forth The Ultimate Journalism Ethical Question...

If you watch an older TV hooked up to rabbit-ear antennas and your screen goes snowy for a moment this November, replaced by a message telling you to call a toll-free number, do not be alarmed. It's not Martians. It's just the government.

You Tube's Citizen News channel has released a video promo for an upcoming citizen journalism contest. Global Voices' Juliana Rincón Parra suggests citizen journalists in communities where English isn't the native language, use voice-overs or subtitlre interviews in English (DotSub is a great service for subtitling) topossibly make your content eligible for the contest. (Juliana's complete post w/video is hErE).

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics