Monday, August 25, 2008

USBNTMAP.SYS

USBSTOR.SYS
USBMPHLP.PDR

Why is it always such a bitch to try to find and download files when you need them? Whether Microsoft likes it or not, there are many of us who still use and others who prefer to use Win98Se and / or WinME as OS. In my case, one of my computers is (long story) WinME only and when I add a new program or piece of hardware, I have to hunt for files, "A" because I don't have the original set-up disk and "B" actually having that CD (as I've encountered with Win98SE) doesn't guarantee the computer can find and install the files that are supposedly on it.

Last month I had to look for mfc42u.dll and gdiplus.dll, which weren't too difficult to locate. This month I plugged my USB Memory Stick into the WinME PC. Ah! It began to call for a variety of files. Trying to search for and actually find them without encountering "dead" links or moved pages or somebody demanding money for them seemed impossible. Here is (in cab file form) the USB driver pack if you're running Win98SE and recently activayed or added USB components:

Win98SE_C150B.zip

Run, Program and Maintain your iPod via Win98SE or WinME

For a $5 donation via PayPal to the supplier OR a charity of YOUR own choosing, you can grab this neat little piece of software. I'll be honest with you: ya gotta tinker a little bit to get your PC to recognize and accept it, but once you do... your iPod will appear as another drive on your computer! The programmer says:
Unfortunately, you cannot use Windows 98 with Apple iTunes software, but there are alternatives:
YamiPod - simple and multiplatform.
Winamp with iPod Plugin - supports Shuffle! (Remark: Winamp 5.22 has iPod support built-in, but it seems to be incompatible with Windows 98 - do not enable it during installation!
RealPlayer v. 10.5 and newer. Free version is OK.
SharePod - a great program for downloading mp3 back from iPod to other computer
EphPod - doesn't work with 5th generation iPods (those with video)!
vPod (old versions)
Important remarks
Regarding iPod Shuffle
If you need to initialize your iPod Shuffle and you cannot use iTunes - now you can use
iPod shuffle Database Builder, a smart little program made by Martin Fiedler.
Here's another page to keep handy:

Michael Hobot's Guide To iPods With Win98 - (also applicable to ME) Michael writes: "This is based on my personal experience and I have a fully functional iPod. (Keep in mind that I have the 4G iPod, USB 1.1, and Windows Me, but I think everything should be about the same for all iPods though.) Mike runs through procedures:

Formatting to a Windows iPod
Install and run iPodUpdater
You now have a Windows iPod!
Connecting to Your Computer

Thank-You, Michael! I will update this post if I should run across any new programs or other information... meanwhile please feel free to leave your advice in either Comments area below.

Tags: , , , , ,




Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics