Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Patriotism Month

... That is the name of my last post published in my alternative blog Genesis Encounter, which is dedicated to spread Mexican customs, traditions and heritage. September is what we call the Patriotism Month... this is what I wrote based on this important celebration in my country but also considering the current social situation that we have. - Bettina Perroni

"But if some strange enemy should dare
to profane your ground with his step,
think, oh beloved country!, that heaven
has given you a soldier in every son."
- Fragment of Mexican Anthem

The patriotic month has finally come to Mexico. The country with the most beautiful flag, the country of silver, tequila and tortilla; where the coasts are bathed in turquoise color and which protect many treasures such as the sanctuary of monarch butterflies and also great testimonies of important Mesoamerican civilizations.

My country is so beautiful! … I get my skin scrawl when I hear the mariachis, when I see a Mexican wearing proud his charro suit, when I shout "Viva Mexico"… that historic shout of rebellion that we have as legacy from Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla when he called for the Independence of Mexico the night of September 15 in 1810; and those first sentences of our national anthem: "Mexicans, at the cry of war,"…

For any reason, this time I would like to celebrate my Mexico, Lindo y Querido in different way, starting with some questions I have: When did we leave the destiny of our country in irresponsible hands?, Of whom is the fault that the country is under an apparent kidnapping?

Yes dear friends… the sons of this FREE and SOVEREING land have been being kidnapped, suffering extortions, our individual guarantees are being evaded, our rights are not being recognized and dreams for future generations of Mexicans are being snatched away.

What patriotism means? ... It is clear how proud we are of our land, but we must not forget that the direction in the history of our country is shaped by the work of its people. What are we doing?, In whom can we trust? Now that we are writing serious social problems in our records that tarnish the magnificence of Mexico.

Dressing the streets and facades of buildings with the colors of our flag is not enough, nor carrying the flag in our cars or sing with love "Cielito Lindo"

… can I confirm that surely the best thing that this country have is its people. People wanting to live in peace, desperate people who has been victims of the wave of impunity, violence, kidnappings, crime, lack of legality and injustice that has plagued my country… without forgetting the battle of our indigenous brothers asking for equality who are also -like most Mexicans- experiencing a series of abuses that apparently no one can stop.

How much longer? ... Those are some questions that remain unanswered or answers that are covered to protect the guilty parties.

"Mexicans, at the cry of war,"… : That the law ceases to protect criminals and that criminals are punished, that's what the people demand… and do so.

Did you know that:

On August 30, 2008 starting at 18:00 hours, thousands of Mexicans chose to dress in white and participate in the march "Lighting Mexico" as a protest against violence and insecurity.

More than 200 thousand Mexicans ignite their candles in the main plaza of Mexico City and thousands of others participated in different marches organized throughout the length and breadth of Mexico where the main requirement was STOP!

Friends, it is clear, with a new rebellion shout we join again, we want our independence ... but this time against corrupts and criminals.

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics