Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Severe Economic Downturn: Bye Bye Car Culture!

Last night our local PBS station aired a program that gave a firsthand look at the 1929 Stock Market crash. I'm into paralells these days, and the paralell lines cannot be avoided. As indicated by the news about GM, Starbucks, DHL, Circuit City and the U.S. Postal Service, we're not out of the woods yet. If GM falls, so be it. That company has done more to steer America on the wrong course when it comes to oil dependency than any other single force. They slit their own throat anyway. My advice? Buy stock in GM, in Ford, in Chrysler. Buy as prices continue to fall. If one or two go belly up and disappear, you'll have one to fall back on. Remember, Chrysler already has three electric car models planned for 2010. GM claims to have the Volt, but it's mostly a dream at this juncture. DON'T BUY GOLD. It's way too high!

The big problems right now for the auto industry:

1 - How to unload a bunch of vehicles nobody wants: despite gas @ $2.29 a gallon, Americans fear it could be back to $4.11 in a heartbeat... they've already experienced that and are not likely to forget it.

2 - People who do have a little money and NEED a new car are either waiting for more hybrids and/or can't get a bank loan!

The US Big 3 automakers should get together and form their own credit company, so a person with a job could walk in, plunk down $1000 and drive out with a new car, no questions asked. (Of course the car would have to be like a Hyundai, 33+ mpg in the city, and NOT like one of those tin-can Suzukis or Aeros or "Smart Cars" in which you are cramped and most certainly dead if you get hit by a garbage truck or city bus.

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics