Sunday, January 17, 2010

Empathy w/Conan O'Brien

"In the press this week, NBC has been calling me every name in the book. In fact, they think I'm such an idiot they now want me to run the network" - Cincinnati.com (blog) Hmmmm... what would Jay say to Conan? "Keep your chin up"??? Word is a "settlement" between Conan and NBC is near!

Conan, I feel your pain!

Not once, but TWICE I went through something similar to what you're experiencing! Early in my radio career, I quit my full-time job when I was given a morning DJ slot, only to get a call Sunday night (I was to start Monday morning) from the program director, who informed me they "found somebody else and he was so good we couldn't let him go." I was devastated! But I went over to that radio station Monday morning at 9 and spoke with the General Manager. To make a long long story very short: he gave me some part-time and sales assignments. We became fast friends! The guy they hired instead of me was fired within a year for drinking alcohol on the job. The program director who hired me was fired for reasons I won't disclose. I was promoted to program director!

My second career mishap also involved radio: I was given a position as lead anchor for afternoon drive on a very popular station. This time the frantic call came on a Friday afternoon (I was supposed to start Monday) from the fellow who hired me, the News Director, who profusely apologized: the station had been SOLD and nobody knew until it was a done deal. The entire news staff, including the fellow who hired me, were immediately dismissed! Luckily, my full-time job at that time ran from 11 am to 7pm, so it was no big deal!

Everything happens for a reason, and looking back, I'm glad things happened the way they did! Maybe someday Conan will feel the same way. Maybe Not ;)

Tags: ,

3 comments:

RE Ausetkmt said...

I saw Conans' retort to nbc and leno and I must say, he has balls of steel. he literally told nbc that they are sucking leno's magicstick.

I think I'll be watching him wherever he ends up, cause he earned my respect. this is a very good post

Project Savior said...

Conan's following might not be as big as Leno's but it is more loyal. Conan could go directly on to the internet and enough of his fans would follow him to make it profitable.
NBC really dropped the ball with this one.

marion said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://dataentryjob-s.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics