Sunday, April 25, 2010

"I will fly with you..."

A friend loaned me his DVD of the movie "Avatar." I just finished watching it. I'm glad I waited until all the hype and hoopla died down. It's an amazingly well-constructed motion picture on all points. Storyline, plot, quality of acting and special effects.

Unlike many people who were physically sickened by the theatrical 3-D, I was just fine, watching it on my non-3D TV set! I felt UPLIFTED after watching. I suppose if you asked me what I may have learned or felt, I would have to say that the message in the film is that we are all interconnected in a spiritual way that not everyone experiences or appreciates on a personal level.

I now understand why the picture is so highly regarded. I give it "two thumbs up" but won't recommend you watch it, much as I would not recommend you try LSD. "Avatar" is in a class of its own. Some will be moved, others disturbed by it.

Stephen Hawking: Aliens exist but don't talk to them -- it's too dangerous...

Many people reportedly succumbed to weeks of unhappiness and depression after viewing the film. I fail to understand why folks would react that way. Was the 3-D overpowering?  Of course, I don't understand why some people choose to commit suicide or murder, either. Those are actions I cannot see myself ever taking. Oh, there was a show on PBS a few weeks back about a fellow who had an incurable illness and went to Europe for an assisted suicide. I guess that's a little different, in a Soylent Green way. I agreed with that particular fellow's decision to leave.

Did YOU see "Avatar" - and if so, what was your encounter like?

Show Comments: OR


  1. I saw the movie Avatar in 3D and I must say it is well done with all those never before seen effects, story and the message it relays to the viewers. Certainly, this is not the movie that I would include in my DVD collection. Just overpowering.

  2. Excellent movie but only in cinema with 3D. I now believe movies will be taken to a new level after Avatar oh and my son plays the game on xbox.


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics