Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pop Clips » 17 June 2010

A-List Blogger Perez Hilton posted a photo of Miley Cyrus on his Twitter page that seemed to show the 17 year old stepping out of a car without underwear, and all hell broke loose.

"That's, like, some idiot being an idiot."
-- Miley Cyrus on Ryan Seacrest's radio show
Cyrus is going to share screen with Bret Michaels on ABC's "Good Morning America" live from Central Park tomorrow.

Do YOU have any thoughts on the Hilton-Cyrus brouhaha? I've altered my comments section to make it easier for folks to leave legitimate ones!

My computer has been acting really strange... Entrecards I've visited on other blogs have been displaying some weird messages like "#Cookie script" and "java:error" - I'm wondering if the computer's registry could be corrupted? Nope, just checked, it's okay...

While on Entrecard, I've run across articles by various bloggers debating the merits of the program. I'm sticking with it, because of my association with EC I now have at least 30 blogs in my reader that regularly publish what I consider to be outstanding content, incluidng stand-outs like Orient Lodge, People You Need To Know, The Fitness Diva, HealthnutwannabeMom, SFI and so many more.

Folks from around the upper Hudson Valley remember Mike Tyson from back in the old days under the tutelage of Cus D'Amato. Min has the latest on what Mikey's been up to :::
Miss Info :::Mike Tyson remininsces about his friendship with Tupac, also Pac’s Birthday Show in Atlanta - Had he lived, Wednesday, June 16 would have been Tupac Shakur’s 39th birthday. And Shaheem/MTV sent over this fascinating memory shared by Iron Mike.

Dallas Penn :::Takin’ It To The Streets 2010 - Takin’ It to the Streets 2010…


The other morning I tweeted "Funny on Fly92 everyday we hear the same 2 or 3 songs during 5 2 drive, like "Beautiful Girls" 4:53 AM Jun 16th via txt"

For years and years from the 1950s through the 1970s, when AM radio was king, WTRY in its "Great 98" heyday spoiled the Capital region silly with its eclectic mix of pop hits, cutting edge music and "exclusives." It's the radio station that drove songs like "Don't let Me Sleep Too Long," "Hey Joe" (Tim Rose version)," and David McCallums's "Communication" to Number One in sales in the area.
60s-70s radio was very regional. If you looked at the WTRY Top 30 side by side with one from KRLA in Los Angeles and tossed in a few sound surveys from Denver and Montreal, you would find songs that were #1 at one station, not appearing in any of the other lists, and vice-veresa.
In retrospect, New York City's WABC was the template for todays consultant-driven "corporate radio approach" to music programming, wher it's not unusual to hear the same songs, sometimes in the same order, played over and over and over again. Oddly enough, New York City broke out of the WABC template in the mid to late 1980s when stations like Hot103 (now Hot97) arrived on the FM scene.

Locally, Albany-Schenectady-Troy suddenly became a consultant's heaven. Whenever people talked about radio here they mentioned how the same songs are played over and over again ad nauseum.

About a month ago I blogged that I was impressed with Fly92's playlist, and hoped it would last. Usually when something is "working" in Albany, a higher-up decides "change" is needed, and that's the end of that. But with the rise of Fly92's popular "Five to Drive" I've noticed the same songs getting airtime within 35 minutes before or after the daily 0735 airing of the contest. Coincidence or poor programming?
In January 2003, a WFLY-FM program director was provided use of a Miami hotel room for playing "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda" by Brian McNight and putting it on the Albany, N.Y., station's playlist... ~ Michael Gormley
The proper defense to accusations of playing the same few songs over and over might involve borrowing the old WABC philosophy, applied whenever anyone questioned 770's choice of music: "We only play the hits." In actuality, WABC could create a hit with almost any 45. One rock group frontamn stated "If it gets played on WABC, it's automatically a national hit."
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics