Friday, June 18, 2010

What Kind of New Car Should I Buy?

The Kia Soul is "a new way to roll" - so say the adverts for the car: at first I wasn't too crazy about "box" cars, but now that I'm seeing more of them around, they're cool. (I still have trouble accepting the little Mercedes "smart" car!)

I'm looking for a new car, weighing all the options. Should I go with a good high miles-per-gallon traditional vehicle or wait until carmakers like Kia offer hybrid models? In doing research, many of the hybrids have MPGs in nearly the same range as conventional vehicles. What kind of saving is that? Right now I have a nice car that gets 32mpg. I wouldn't think of trading it in for one of those dinky Suzukis that get an advertised 27mpg.

Back to the Kia Soul, which has "substance" to it - I test drove one the weekend before last and really liked the way it handled, you know: the "feel" behind the wheel. Kia Soul is also right in that coveted 30mpg zone... along with Mitsubishi Lancer. The Mazda Mazda3 is a great looker with just a few miles per gallon less on the highway than the others.

My friend Bob is more into comfort and luxury, less concerned about the price at the pumps, so he's hot to trot over the Maserati Gran Turismo, an awesome vehicle (and of course Bob will be attaching his Ham Radio antenna and other miscellaneous equipment like fog lights and those deer-whistle-thingies to it) to behold!

I'm tempted to go back to the dealership and take another look at the Kia Soul. I know I can get good financing, adnit looks like BP and the other oil barons don't dare raise the price of gasoline now that the cat is out of the bag that "there's plenty of oil in them thar hills" (and oceans!)
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. i like the kia box car,it sounds cool to me.


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics