Saturday, June 05, 2010

Why Blogs Exist [Response to 'Amateur blogosphere, RIP']

If blogs could speak, they would say ::: "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

There is an overabundance of "huff and puff" postings written by self-proclaimed "blogging experts" out there - it's ALL crap! Case in point, via Outside the Beltway :::

Citing...news of Nate Silver’s 538.com moving to the New York Times, longtime blog trend spotter Chris Bowers pronounces the death of the amateur blogosphere.

He cites three overlapping trends:

1. Established media companies and advocacy organizations hiring bloggers to blog, full-time

2. Previously “amateur” progressive blogs became professional operations

3. Bloggers translate blogging into consulting and advocacy work

Er... okay...
This is also debatable ::: Twitter Is Killing the Blogosphere - Guess what! TWITTER isn't always "all that"...

So, everyone thinks the blogosphere is dead, huh?

Every now and then someone with a brain comes along, a genuine expert sharing "credible knowledge." Like this fellow ::: Matt Sussman shares his thoughts: "Who was the yutz that first suggested that it's necessary for a blogger to write daily? I believed them. I now want to discredit them as a blogging expert. But by now they've probably moved onto being a "social media expert," which I think is simply a guy who never forgets his LinkedIn password." I really got a chuckle when I read that! It is SO TRUE! Matt also advises "Don't blog yourself into an early grave" and "Perhaps in the future, such an opportunity will arise where you can write what you love full time. It's happened to a great handful of people. Just don't bank on it." You can read his entire article on Technorati!

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics