Saturday, July 17, 2010

Adventures In Cloning

Nothing much to do and "nothing on" teevee the other night, so I ventured off to the Albany Public Library's new branch on New Scotland Avenue, in search of a movie (DVD) to watch. One would think that the facility would be well-stocked with motion pictures. That's not the case. Hundreds of DVD's, most of them I'd already seen or they were so passe!

The Pine Hills Branch, even when they were in cramped temporaty quarters at the Elks Club, always has a unique selection of movies... that's where I found gems like "No Country For Old Men," "The Island" and various Asian films not generally available, not even at a Red Box! But back to New Scotland: just before they left School 19, they showed some promise in acquiring interesting movies on DVD. Now it seems they have three times as many, but the gems and rare finds are gone.

I searched high and low and managed to find just ONE picture that I'd seen several years ago: one I knew my house guests hadn't seen and would appreciate: Adventures In Babysitting!
Adventures in Babysitting (also known as A Night on the Town in certain countries) is a 1987 American comedy film written by David Simkins, directed by Chris Columbus, and starring Elisabeth Shue, Bradley Whitford, Maia Brewton, Anthony Rapp, Penelope Ann Miller, Keith Coogan, and a brief cameo by blues singer/guitarist Albert Collins. Although it is set in Oak Park, and Chicago, Illinois, with much of the action taking place in the city itself, the movie was filmed primarily in Toronto.
I'd gone through about seven DVD movies friends lended since the beginning of the month with no problems. But Adventures In Babysitting was manufactured with that annoying copyguard feature, meaning I had to make a copy of the disc on my laptop before we could watch it. To make a long explanation short: My DVD player is wired into the TV through the old VCR, because the TV I'm using now relies on a converter to receive DT signals. There is no channel input for the DVD player, but the VCR inputs through Channel 3. You get the picture? The DVD goes into VCR AV-1 and passes through the unit to TV Channel 3, but the VCR circuitry picks up the Copyguard signal and thinks somebody is trying to copy the DVD, rendering the picture unwatchable, hence the need to copy the DVD on the laptop, watching the sheep eat popcorn, so that I can watch the "clean" DVD through the VCR. WHEW!

If you've never seen AinBSitting, it's a treat... (look for Vincent D'Onofrio) and you'll then be ready for the sequel!!!

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics