Thursday, August 05, 2010

Blog Housekeeping & Entrecard

I tend to make changes on this humble weblog slowly and methodically, in case you haven't noticed. Over the past few months I've tweaked the blogroll a bit and accepted a few new adverts.

With September coming soon, I'm bracing for an influx of paid ads, always difficult to place. I received an offer earlier in the week from an advertiser who wanted to take the spot currently occupied by entrecard for six months at US$300! The condition was that I leave entrecard entirely! Imagine! I wrote back, offering to do so for $600 up front. No reply. I confess that I had considered dropping EC because I was getting tired of dropping EC's! And, after all, didn't John Chow and ProBlogger up and leave EC? Check out THIS POST and notice the Blogger who wrote it way back when STILL HAS THE EC WIDGET in place, which is totally active and droppable! (So I guess EC wasn't such a bad deal after all! LOL!)

Here's ANOTHER BLOGGER who profoundly posted "How Removing Entrecard from Your Blog Decreases Bounce Rate" - and guess what? Yup! The EC widget is still there, drop-friendly as ever! I couldn't find any EC widget on yet another blog, which posted an article supporting the notion that while EC is bad for your bounce rate, it's a boost for your Alexa ranking!

What would entrecard advise? "If you ever feel Entrecard is becoming too time consuming, you should consider spending your time differently, but not leaving Entrecard entirely. Writing good content, thinking of topic ideas, and check-
ing out some blogs in your niche are all things you want to keep as high priorities. You’ll find that us-
ing Entrecard casually, to discover new blogs you like and earn a few credits in the process, is a very
relaxed experience." (...)

What would YOU do? Would you accept a $600 payment for a 125x125 to replace your EC widget for 6 months on condition you withdraw your blog entirely from the EC program?
Show Comments: OR

3 comments:

  1. I don't know, Entrecard helpd me to hit that magic 5000 hits per month that alot of advertisers require. Think about it, p.s. Entrecard is how I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose Entrecard has its up and down but I think for the moment you are better with it than without

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have had many battles with myself over entrecard, if you still see the widget on my blog, then I endorse the program!

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics