Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Remove Zeus v3 trojan

A few weeks ago I had an encounter with a pesky trojan. It jumped on my computer WHILE I was performing a routine financial transaction online. I crushed it like the bug it was. How did I get it?

You know how some times you co to click on a link and the page "jumps" and you accidentally click on something else? That's what happened to me. All I clicked on was an ADVERT on an https:// site! That's how the devilish worm transported down to my PC.

A new variant of the Zeus trojan virus is now being described by experts as the most sophisticated and dangerous trojan virus ever created. The Zeus v3 collects data such as passwords and even transfers money out of accounts automatically, but only after checking if there is at least £800 available. M86 Security Inc., an Orange,CA based provider of Web and email security, said: ‘We’ve never seen such a sophisticated and dangerous threat. Always check your balance and have a good idea of what it is.’
In addition to Zeus, the attackers are using the Eleonore and Phoenix exploit kits, both of which are known for exploiting victims' browsers to install Trojans onto their PCs. The process often started with malicious banner ads placed on legitimate Websites. Users who clicked on the ads would be directed to an infected Website containing the exploit kits. The user would then be redirected to the exploit kit, and their PC would become infected, the researchers found.
The scam was discovered after M86 gained access to the command-and-control server in Eastern Europe running the thefts. The botnet uncovered by M86 was only targeting customers of one institution, and the company is sharing its findings with law enforcement.
Take security measures against trojan viruses like the Zeus v3, by going through this list of things to do.

Malware that specifically targets online banking users that has very low detection rates has been found.

Trusteer, producer of the Rapport web page security software, said that cyber criminals are using region-specific malware, which is undetected by most anti-virus technology, to steal people's online banking credentials and commit fraud. It claimed that detection rates for this regional malware is between zero and 20 per cent.

If you're on an older OS and browser accessing the net via dial-up, you are so much safer (but not completely immune) from these newer Troji. (izzatawordorwat?)

At the time this posted, there was no fix or removal program available against this threat. When such a solution becomes available, it will be posted here.

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics