Thursday, September 16, 2010

How to Write the Perfect Press Release

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to write a great press release that's just about guaranteed to get your event covered by the media. Needless to say, it must be an event or gathering worthy of professional coverage.

The easiest way to publicize is by writing a simple, one-page release. You need to list

WHO / WHAT

WHEN (specific day and time)

WHERE (exact location, w/directions from all points unless it's a well-known location or landmark)

WHY

People to Contact BY PHONE

Email addresses are optional

You can put everything above in crayon on a paper grocery bag: the most important thing is to have LIVE people waiting to IMMEDIATELY answer the phone (or return calls ASAP) as well as someone manning the email account to answer inquiries IMMEDIATELY.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS! If reporters or media outlets can't reach a live body for verification or clarification purposes, you don't have an event!

In my career as a journalist, I have seen this happen time and time again (most recently last week - I was the only reporter who showed up at an event because I was familiar with the location, and had nothing else going on at the time - prior to heading out I had made numerous phone calls to THREE numbers on the press release, EVERY SINGLE ONE was on Voice Mail, each having a vague message that would make you believe someone might get back to you WHO KNOWS WHEN!)

SEND your press release out on Friday morning if your event is on a Monday: send it out one day before the event takes place (email it out between 0800-0900) - EVERY TIME YOU SEND AN EMAIL OUT MAKE SURE PEOPLE ARE AT THEIR PHONES and / or READY TO IMMEDIATELY RESPOND TO EMAILS!
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. Great blog!
    Thanks for sharing.

    --------
    Tenax Technologies is a Belarussian software company delivering complex web solutions. We provide comprehensive software development for startups based on Java J2EE Spring Hibernate web2.0 technologies.

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics