Thursday, September 09, 2010

Small Change Brings Luck?

Last Thursday I was on my to a press conference in downtown Albany when I came upon a penny lying face-up on the sidewalk. Recalling that Suze Orman once said she always stopped to pick up pennies, and that, after, all it was on "heads," I decided to pick it up so all the day I'd have good luck. (Or so the proverb goes).

When I arrived at the headquarters of New York State Comptroller Tom DiNapoli I was chatting some of the TV camera operators and DiNapoli staffers about pennies. I wondered, since I had picked up that penny, should I hold onto it, or, if I spent it or gave it away, would I also be passing on the "luck" that should go with it.

I asked a few people if ever they would pick up a penny that was lying face down. One person said it did not matter whether the coin was "heads" or "tails" --- the fact that I picked it up made it "lucky" for me.

Most of the people I asked said they would not pick the penny up if Lincoln's head was not facing upwards.

Do any of you readers have any thoughts on this that you might like to share?

Somebody else wondered "if my thoughts are worth a penny, why is it when I vocalize them I'm 'putting my two cents in'..." Good question!


SONY Anycast Station™ system, a portable “all-in-one” studio for live content creation.


Also, while at the presser, I was admiring a little piece of machinery made by SONY that is essentially a remote studio truck in a suitcase. The typewriter-sized gizmo (anybody remember 'typewriters'???) allows one to create all sorts of TV content! when I get to be a billionaire, that's one of the first things I'll buy! LOL!
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. Dave, the magic in the penny comes from the state of mind that you allow yourself to enter after picking it up.

    It's like new car models on the highway - once you've seen one, all of a sudden, you see them all over the place.

    Since you expect good luck, your mind is tuned in to all the good things that happen afterwards.

    My college buddy calls it "Selection Bias". I call it Law of Attraction. Either way, it's pretty neat!

    I LOL'ed at your penny for your thoughts remark. I guess you give good value when you leave two cents!

    Cheers,

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics