Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Define BLOG

Milestone!

What defines a blog? Is it a diary, a chronicle, an aggregator, a collection of work culled by it's creator? After a decade of keeping a personal weblog in one form or another, I've had an epiphany. I've collected a bunch of thoughts and I'm spewing them out here and now, for all to see.

Blogging can be stressful for some. Bloggers are "always on." The deadline is now. Competition for traffic is intense. Every second I can hold you on my site instead of Joe or Sally's blog improves my PR and the chance you might link back to me or click on one of my ad$!

Then, there are those who argue that blogging's run is over. They said that in '05, that Vlogging was in. It is not. They said that again when twitter came along. But microblogging found its own spot.

I almost dumped the entire blogroll, but decided instead to keep those bellwether blogs and bloggers that have strong presence in that they have impacted the blogosphere, leaving their unique marks in Cyberia, the Digiverse, or whatever you might call it.
Is a blogroll neccessary in 2010?
With blogrolls, you have the problem of deciding who to add and who to deny. If your blogroll is huge, your readers and those you link to will perceive your blogroll links as having little value, because it seems you’ll add anybody.

On the other hand, a small blogroll means some people won’t make the cut. If another blogger adds you to their blogroll, but you didn’t add them to yours, they may feel a bit put out. Reciprocity is a powerful psychological force in human relationships. If other bloggers add you to their blogrolls, they feel like you owe them the same as a return favor.

Having a blogroll means you have to deny link requests and people will want to know why. “Because your blog sucks” is probably not what you want to tell them. Far easier to simply not have a blogroll at all, because then you just say “I don’t have a blogroll,” and that’s that.
[Source]
Maybe you’re blogging to promote your creative work, to build a tribe, to create your brand, to put your voice out there. This is all well and good. But to accomplish these things you need to figure out what to blog about that will actually engage an audience….not to mention yourself. If all you’re doing is blogging about yourself or your book, you’ll run out of steam pretty quickly. There’s also this factor to consider: nobody really cares.

Keeping up appearances on twitter, Facebook, blogs and other social media is a big time killer. I'm not saying that spending time on social media is a waste, but don't let it take away all of your time! Go interact with the REAL world, which is rapidly spinning by all around you, because if you miss IT you will be left incomplete and unsatisfied, no matter how many posts you've posted, friends you've friended or tweets you've tweeted!

Entrecard is another time-sucker, vacuuming up precious moments... drop ECs wisely and with a PURPOSE in mind! Have a goal, an agenda. If you are dropping just to get to "300 per day," you are LOST!

In a recent discussion on Facebook, a person was complaining about being tagged in a picture that their physical likeness was not in. (Happens to me all the time!) Aldon Hynes explored this... I left a comment on Aldon's blog ::: Unfortunately, my experience with this "tagging" business has been unpleasant. There are a few users on Facebook who exploit this "tagged in a photo" feature to promote their own causes and manifestos. "UNCLE!"

Traditional Media Could Help Fix Some Big Tech Issues but Keep Silence - Do you believe in the power of social media? Of course you do the ...
Tuning Your Posting Frequencies - It is a widely held belief within the blogoshere that a blogger should publish a post every single day – if not multiple times per every single day.

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics