Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dinner for three - $5!

Here's a really easy and inexpensive dinner you can put together for about USD$5! Perfect for a couple expecting a single guest or for a one-child family. This is something that's going to sit in the oven for awhile, so it's good if you have other things to do around the house or in the backyard.
Digressing ::: Sometimes it seems I am busier and have much more work to do when I'm home than when at work! That's what this weekend seems like, although I am putting this post together around 0800 Sunday morning, I've accomplished so much in the last 24 hours that I'm carrying that "good feeling" --- you know, the feeling you have when you've gotten a lot of things done and find yourself "ahead of schedule." I've been up since 0400 and still have a few items left on my weekend "to-do" list. I just made some fresh banana muffins and coffee for myself and a few friends who are stopping by before religious services. As always, you are welcome here along with your comments and suggestions! I hope you enjoy this little recipe!
You will need:

1 lb. of boneless ribs (beef or pork, as per your preference) [I paid just $1.99 for the package of meat I used inputting this meal together.]

2 cups of any brand cola

1 of each ::: [I always keep, in the bottom of the fridge, bottles of ketchup and BBQ sauce that have just enough left in the bottom that makes it hard to get the stuff to come out] ::: A bottle of nearly empty ketchup and a bottle nearly empty of barbecue sauce

1 medium sized onion

1 regular-size can of beans OR sauerkraut OR peeled tomatoes


(1) MARINATE the meat in 2 cups of cola for 90 minutes
(2) finely slice that onion while the meat is marinating
...after 90 minutes... turn the oven on to pre-heat (350 degrees)
(3) drain off and discard the cola [I used the same Pyrex dish to marinate and then bake in]
(4) layer the sliced onion on the bottom of the dish
(5) salt both sides of the meat, then place it atop the onion bed - place the remaining onion slices and pieces on top the individual cuts of meat.
(6) take 1 cup warm or hot water, pour it in the BBBQ sauce bottle, shake well, then pour that mixture into the ketchup bottle. Shake well.

Pour the mixture over the meat and into the pan.

Now, add 1 cup or more of fresh cola. You want the liquid to be at the same level but not covering the top of the pieces of meat.
(7) tightly cover the baking dish with foil
(8) Bake at 350 degrees F
...after baking for about 90 minutes...
(9) Lift the foil off, spoon the contents of the can of beans or whatever around the SIDES of the meat. It's okay to add a little more cola or tomato juice if the liquid level is low---it shouldn't be. Place the foil back on the dish.
(10) continue cooking for 30 additional minutes.

This is great with rice or noodles. You may also serve a can of peas or corn as a side dish.
We had an inexpensive bottle of wine in the rack, so we served that with the meal. I know, it's not the greatest picture of the finished product- truth is- I forgot to take a picture of the serving dish or even a plate, so this illustration represents the leftovers, which were immediately covered with plastic cling wrap and can be / will be re-heated in the microwave for lunch later in the week!

I cooked this Saturday afternoon. You don't have to watch it too closely, so I was able to multi-task away. I followed it up when it was done with one of those freezer-to-oven Dutch Apple pies, which became our dessert!

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics