Saturday, October 23, 2010

I Just Sit Here, Watching The Words Go By...

This essay, and any other on this blog written by Dave Lucas, may or may not prove to be correct, and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other person or entity.

Because my employer is an NPR affiliate, I've been getting inquiries from people regarding my thoughts on the "NPR situation," what's been going on with public radio and television. Personally, I believe that every side of every story should be told. In my professional reporting duties, I always seek out representatives from both sides of prominent issues. That's the way it is at my job. You won't find a more "fair and balanced" approach to news reporting and presentation.

At breakfast I was thinking about a lesson that for some reason has been being drilled into my head all week manifesting in both the personal and professuional areas of my life. That lesson in a word is "wait." Be patient and wait when an event happens ... you sit back and you assess the situation but don't take any action until later when everything has had a chance to "stew" and shake out.
NPR announced [Juan] Williams’ termination on Twitter (the social networking service). Williams, who is a Fox News contributor, had committed the deadly sin of expressing public concern about traveling with “people who are in Muslim garb … identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims.” Confessed Williams on “The O’Reilly Factor” Tuesday night: “I get worried. I get nervous.” ~ Michelle Malkin
Words are words and people say things.. some people can get away with "oh I misspoke" some people can't... and I don't always understand why and who is privvy to explaining it that way as they back out and who is not, and why some folk ultimately end up "crucified."

Both sides said some "odd" things. To which you might want to take with "two grains of salt" (to borrow a phrase from Andrew Cuomo). It's not always good to talk right off the top of your head. Notice how Bill and Hillary Clinton carefully size up any situation before commenting. I recall reading an old Mick Jagger interview, where the rock star confided to the reporter that he "carefully measured" what he would say in response to any question, so that even though there may be along pause in the conversation, Jagger had time to make sure that what came out of his mouth was what he wanted fans and others to hear.

Years ago when I hosted an evening radio talk show in the Albany metro area, I never took a position on a topic. Callers would ask :"what's your position on this or what's your stand on that," to which I would reply "I m not here to take a stand. I'm here to listen to what YOU have to say and help you analyze why you believe what you believe."

So whatever your belief is on whether NPR did the right thing or the wrong thing... I'm sitting here like the CBS eye. Uunblinking, just taking it all in... frame by frame by frame.
It isn’t simply Americans, but Canadians are really feeling the pinch when it comes to political correctness and censorship by the left of ideas they find inappropriate. I hope Williams understands that he has those who appreciate his incite and that most Canadians are outraged at the treatment he has received from NPR, especially at the slanderous comments from NPR CEO Vivian Schiller, after a decade of dedicated service.
Who was right and who was wrong? What's YOUR take on this? Comments are OPEN!

1 comment:

Google trend said...

i agree with u on that each and every aspect should be told but with responsibility in concern.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics