Monday, October 25, 2010

So How Was YOUR Weekend?

It was quite difficult to get a decent picture of the tiny "secret demon" carved in the stone near the Albany State Capitol building's "million dollar staircase." What you see here is what you get! I snapped it with my Kyocera Wild Card while on the "Haunted Tour," which I'll be filing a radio story on this week. I had to use photoediting software to bring the demon face out. Can you see it?

The most fascinating bit of information I picked up on the tour: US President Abraham Lincoln first crossed paths with the man who later be his assassin, John Wilkes Booth, right in Albany! (Booth was a popular actor, perhaps the "Brad Pitt" of his day)...
When the Civil War began on April 12, 1861, Booth was starring in Albany, New York. His outspoken admiration for the South's secession, publicly calling it "heroic", so enraged local citizens that they demanded his banning from the stage for making "treasonable statements". Albany's drama critics were kinder, however, giving him rave reviews. One called him a genius, praising his acting for "never fail[ing] to delight with his masterly impressions"
Following the tour, it was off to the hilltowns...

Don't tell the trans-fat police, but Indian Ladder Farms' Apple Cider Donuts are even better than I remember from childhood! They are so awesome! The next morning after a drive out to the orchard, I had a bagful leftover. Here's the secret: 22 seconds in the microwave. But just place 1 single donut in the microwave on a saucer. Like they just came out of the ILF oven!

By the time we got to Chinatown it was 9pm, but still plenty to do and see in NYC. Invited out to a jazz club then off to Queens for a few hours sleep before getting back to Canal Street to catch an early-Sunday ride back upstate.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics