Sunday, November 21, 2010

Seeds For Thought

I've picked up a lot of twitter followers within the last 8 weeks and I have NO IDEA why they would possibly want to be following me, unless they think that I'm going to auto-follow them back. Let me assure you, nothing could be farther from the truth! I don't want "junk followers!"

Once again, the list of people I follow on twitter is currently around 330. I believe 300 is a reasonable cut-off point, so I'm going to do a little pruning. Aldon Hynes recently posted "Unfollow Friday" - where he brought up several valid points. Hynes writes "The biggest overlap between people that I follow who do not follow me back and one of the Twitclean categories is followers that hardly follow anyone. None of them follow me. Most are news sources, corporate publicity sites and celebrities."

Celebrities who do not post often I tend to keep on following, because in the event that they DO post something, you know it is something special! Hynes identified who.unfollowed.me as a tool he uses, so, I'm off to inspect it! BRB!

+ who.unfollowed.me loaded up in seconds on dial-up
+ sign-in via twitter oauth
+ you must grant the program access
- re-direct back takes awhile... after two minutes the "welcome" screen appeared, greeting me:

welcome davelucas

Thanks for signing in to who.unfollowed.me. we have been hard at work making this website better for you, and everyone.
As a 'Lite' user you can...

* manually check for unfollowers every 15 minutes.
* callout your unfollowers for unfollowing you.
* view people you are following that are not following you back.
* view a 7 day unfollower history.


Upgrade to Pro!

We are offering the pro version for only $4.99 a year, that's less than 2 cents a day!

* manually check unfollowers anytime
* automatically check unfollowers daily
* organize your unfollowers
* unfollow those not following back
* 45 day unfollower history
I decided to check on "who's not following me back" - 216 twits! ALL OF YOU LITTLE ICONS WILL BE SORRY LATER! There's an accompanying button you can click to tell that to the world via twitter! Then, it was time to get back to writing this blog post! I was bid farewell:

This is your first time here, and we're happy you stopped by.

you have now benchmarked your followers and can begin checking who unfollows you from now on. just come back to this site and sign in like you just did.

please remember, we can't track anything from the past.... just future unfollows.

help us grow on twitter, please follow @whounfollowedme on twitter!

BY THE WAY ::: I have a twitter feed on my blog up in the right-hand column. Has anyone else noticed that sometimes if you go to your twitter page on the net, it won't be updated, and that your 'feed' version is more up-to-the-second? I noticed that happened several times last week. Just wondering! Leave any thoughts, answers or feedback in comments below!

Tags: ,

2 comments:

aldon @ orient lodge said...

Dave,

As always, thanks for your link and sharing your experiences. I've been using who.unfollowed.me for a few days now, and it is pretty consistent. Most of my unfollowers are people who are following significantly more people than follow them. I'll be interested in finding out if you have similar experiences.

Concerning your number of 300 people to follow, I'm curious about how you came up with that number. Are you acquainted with Dunbar's Number? You should check it out and let me know about how your three hundred might or might not relate to Dunbar's number.

Aldon

Dave Lucas said...

@aldon, check back here at the blog later on... perhaps this evening I'll have an answer for you, as a stand-alone post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics