Sunday, December 05, 2010

Make That Two Scoops...

We've reached the consumer price panic point for gasoline! Sunday at 0700 New York Time! We are now unoffically at the edge - staring down the abyss: dip#2 of a "double-dip" recession.

PUSH comes to shove! Either we're out of the woods or we're not. The test of whether or not the economy sinks back into recession will be played out over the next 6 to 8 weeks. I figured that with holiday retail sales strong, millions of Americans falling off the unemployment rolls because they've exhausted benefits, and local financial advisers cooing about how things "are good," it was only a matter of time before "evil oil" raised prices again. The $3.25 price point for gas defines the line where consumers will now be forced to make budgetary cutbacks, many times because they just can't park the car.
FORGET THE CHEVY VOLT! Nobody wants it! GM should have made EV1's instead of Hummers when they had a chance and they would never have needed a bail-out, but that's another blog post!
Many smaller cities like Albany and its suburbs have no cheap reliable public transportation. (If you live in, say, Voorheesville and your job is in Troy, good luck getting there using public transportation. It can be done, but at great inconvenience and loss of time, not to mention convincing one's employer to accomodate the public bus schedules!)

Just days after the World Bank Chief proclaimed we should not expect a "double-dip recession" ::: "The recovery of the world economy has started to lose momentum since the middle of 2010, and all indicators point at weaker global economic growth. The recovery may suffer further setbacks if some of the downside risks materialize, in which case a double-dip recession is looming for Europe, Japan and the United States..." ~ The UN's World Economic Situation and Prospects 2011 Report.

To add further to the global woes...

Keep an eye on Ireland!

When gross domestic product (GDP) growth slides back to negative after a quarter or two of positive growth. A double-dip recession refers to a recession followed by a short-lived recovery, followed by another recession. Causes of a double-dip recession vary but often include a slowdown in the demand for goods and services because of layoffs and spending cutbacks from the previous downturn.

Tags: ,

Show Comments: OR

3 comments:

  1. Maybe nobody wants the Chevy Volt because nobody's heard of it? 93 MPG sounds like a great idea, I saw a video not long ago of a test drive where a guy went from Washington DC to NYC and it only took him six and a half gallons of gas. Heck, slap a few solar cells on that baby and it wouldn't need gas at all. I've never once seen a TV commercial for it though. It's like they're not really trying to market it at all. I can't drive for medical reasons or I'd get one myself. $40k is a bit of sticker shock for a sedan like that, but I'm sure it's more than made up for in the gas savings over the life of the car. You wanna get something cheaper, there's always www.rhoadescar.com. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ruth - You obviously didn't read Dave's post completely and certainly didn't click on the links to the story of the EV-1.

    The EV-1 DIDN'T NEED GAS AT ALL, you idiot! (Of course, you're spamming for that website you're pushing, anyway!)

    You and people like you are the reason why GM is still around. Still fooling sheeple out of their hard-earned money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that was rude. I wasn't referring to EV-1 I was talking about Chevy Volt, which is what was mentioned in the post! I'm not "pushing" any website, just mentioning something I found (in case you haven't looked, Rhoades Car is a quad bike and nothing to do with GM, by the way).

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics