Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Adgitize is DEAD! Google to Ban Entrecard Blogs?

17-thousand registered blogs are SOL after the announcement that ADgitize is no more... that just a few months after cmf ads bit the digital big one...

Suggestions have, from time to time, been drifting across the blogosphere that Google may be considering either dis-allowing or reducing PageRank for blogs carrying the Entrecard widget.

I have not been able to determine whether or not this is true. I kinda DOUBT it.

As you all know (those of you who have tried to contact Google or Blogger/Blog*Spot) you can send emails 'til you drop and you won't get a return answer.

Of course, bloggers have been posting strange things about Entrecard for years now... Here's a post from 2009 (notice the blogger is still displaying a working EC widget on his blog!).

Sourceblogger believes "
Time has come today for all good bloggers to think about putting away childish things!" - A thoroughly thought-provoking article: BE SURE TO READ THE COMMENTS!

And while we're being critical (and speaking of "childish") - I'm seeing too many crappy blogs with auto-play music and/or a bunch of blinking stuff going on that bewilders anyone who passes along.

Now here is something to think about for self-proclaimed "blogebrities" (and this isn't coming from me!) :::

"You can also easily display your RSS feed count through a service like Feedburner, which allows you to install a "chicklet" feed displaying the number of your RSS feed subscribers.

If you really think about it, is this really any different than the ever-hated hit counter? Do we want to follow someone on Twitter just because they have 30,000 followers? Does the follower count really indicate an increased quality in tweets? Personally, I’d rather follow someone who has 50 Twitter followers and is an expert willing to share and discuss their work, as opposed to someone who has tons of followers but doesn’t have much to share that’s valuable in my field.

This is not to say that a large Twitter feed following or RSS feed subscribership automatically points to poor feed quality. I just don’t think the practice of displaying Twitter and RSS feed counts has any real user-centered value. Quality of content is the primary reason people subscribe to a website’s feeds. If they’re subscribing for any other reason, then you probably don’t want them subscribing. The Twitter and RSS subscribership counters are really just a new-and-improved version of the hit counter odometer." ~ Louis Lazaris

Blog Engage Blog Forum and Blogging Community, Free Blog Submissions and Blog Traffic, Blog Directory, Article Submissions, Blog Traffic

Tags: Entrecard, , , , ,

Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR


  1. I definitely agree that a large Twitter or RSS feed following/subscribership is not a legit reason to follow someone. I would much rather follow the person with 50 followers who networks with all of them regularly.

  2. Just wondering why you're somewhat negative towards Adgitize.

    With Entrecard I used to have it on my blog in which I got around 30K of EC points, after they suspended my account without warning and reason I never looked back to Entrecard again.

  3. Negative experiences breed negative attitudes.

  4. Dave,

    Thank you for including my post as a link in your article. I have been noticing some traffic coming from it from time-to-time.

    I always respect other bloggers who read blogs like I do.

    Jeffrey Baril of "Source Blogger".

  5. Thank YOU, Jeffrey!

    I love blogs and blogging - and yours is a great read!

  6. Hello, I noticed that two great advertising venues for bloggers has shut down, please take the time to visit, an alternative to adgitize and cmf ads and discover more traffic and revenue than before without all the extra codes to drain your sites bandwidth! It sucks they left, now whats left is entrecard >< and projectwonderful....they have a solid business model.


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics