Sunday, January 09, 2011

A Busy Week Ahead For Me...

...both professionally and personally. President Barack Obama visits Schenectady on Tuesday. I'll continue researching material for a story involving transgender people. I have resumed work on my book. I'm rolling out a new blog design. All that, just for starters!
Michelle Malkin calls it "heart-shattering" - I find it cruelly ironic that a little 9-year old girl, born on September 11 2001, died at the hands of a nutjob. Christina Taylor Greene was excited about the political process, participated in student government, and went to the Giffords event to learn more about the political process, family members say.Greene attended Mesa Verde Elementary School. She was the only girl on the CDO baseball team - she loved the sport, as well as horseback riding and swimming.

This makes me think of the movie "Time Cop" which recently aired on local TV. What kind of person might this child have grown up to be? A great political leader? A housewife? An "ordinary working person." Probably any of the above and more. Her death might have changed the future, as it could have been. We'll never know.

The Pima County Sheriff's Office has released the identities of the six people killed in Saturday morning's tragic shooting.

-John Roll, 63, a federal district court judge.

-Gabriel Zimmerman, 30, Giffords' director of community outreach

-Dorwin Stoddard, 76, a pastor at Mountain Ave. Church of Christ.

-Christina Greene, 9, a student at Mesa Verde Elementary

-Dorthy Murray, 76

-Phyllis Scheck, 79
Around mid-day Saturday A huge green aircraft passed overhead (I'm under the Albany International Airport flight path) and I wondered if perhaps it had something to do with the upcoming POTUS appearance, which I will be covering.

Security will be on many minds this week after the Tucson incident. I lived in Tucson for a short time near the UArizona campus, not too far from Speedway Blvd. I was shocked when I heard the news.

The 22-year-old suspect in the shooting of US Rep Gabrielle Giffords and others at a Tucson grocery is one Jared Loughner (KGUN)

These types of "congressional corner" community meetings are usually low-key and don't warrant big media coverage. They are very popular here in New York state - Senator Kirsten Gillibrand still engages in these types of appearances, which she popularized when she was Congresswoman Gillibrand. It is inconceiveable that some nut would come along and wreak havoc at an event like this. But on second thought - when do bad things always seem to happen? That's right - when we are "off guard," not expecting them.

Coincidentally, on Friday evening, I was discussing the Kennedy Assassination in Dallas with a friend who was writing a paper on unexpected events that befall municipalities, running the gamut from natural disasters to terrorist acts. The idea that something bad would happen in Tucson, of all places, never entered my mind!

What should have been a Congressional Corner "meet and greet" at a supermarket turned very deadly - and sadly, lives were lost.

This message is from a Virgin Mobile customer.

UPDATE - Westbroro Baptist Church will be PICKETING at Christina's funeral. - I had to add this link after reading TheSadSoul's comment below!
Show Comments: OR


  1. Hey Dave! I read the Michelle Malkin piece. The following comment REALLY hit me right in the freakin' heart and soul - this is what happens in America when families are torn apart.

    " On January 9th, 2011 at 8:29 am, cheapseat said:

    That this sweet 9 yr old was killed by this bastard is simply beyond the pale. He needs to be fried for that alone. The public persons didn’t “deserve” this, but they know this type of insanity exists. The 9 year old was completely innocent and anyone who would shoot a child needs immediate execution.
    BTW, last night he was supposedly a military man with service in Afghanistan, but today he turns out to be a fake warrior leftist band member with a bad attitude. Probably brought up in a single parent home by a doting mom."

  2. Speculation on Brain Injury of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords - Click Here


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics