Thursday, April 07, 2011

Peter Coffin Vs. Xiaxue - Netizens Can't put this one down!

Just like the old "Tammy Nyp" cellphone video story that still circulates the blogsophere, the digital battle pitting Singapore's #1 Blogging SuperStar Wendy Cheng against third-rate self-proclaimed comedian Peter Coffin has grown legs wings...
Sasha Brown-Worsham writes on thestir: "This gives new meaning to the phrase, 'he's having a meaningful relationship with his right hand.'"

The Canberra Times is the latest mainstream media outlet taking up the story:
"...what would prompt Coffin to do something like this and, indeed, how many people out there are playing with imaginary friends well into adulthood?

University of Canberra assistant professor in the Centre for Applied Psychology in the faculty of health, James Neill, has an extra interest in social networking.

He says it's hard to work out what Coffin's motivations might be, but creating personas, especially online, is widespread and common as it ''permits, facilitates and celebrates fake identity''.

A practice he calls ''sockpuppetry'' is common on Wikipedia and it's only the occasional site such as Facebook that even insists on users presenting a genuine identity, Neill says.

''Having one's characters interact like this in a relationship on public show brings together elements of drama and literary hoax in the liveliness of a social networking and media environment.

''If [Coffin] were Barry Humphries, we'd be queuing up and buying tickets."
LOL!

Tags: , , ,

Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. Can you do a post calling out XiaXue about being an Australian YouTube partner when she's not residing in Australia?

    It's an obvious way for her to find a cash cow because Singapore doesn't have a partners program.

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics