Friday, May 20, 2011

Secure Blogging & Social Networking

A flurry of suspicious (unusual) activity early Friday prompted me to take pre-emptive measures aimed at avoiding any possible cyber disaster.

Shortly after 1am New York time, someone tried to gain access to my Facebook account...from Malaysia. I already know of at least one blogger (in Malaysia, by the way!) who likes to snoop around in other websites' code... as far as i can tell, they never got in, which is good. There are tools on the internet for Facebook Hacking, etc. which have an 80% success rate.

(1) I backed up my blog ::: on blogger-blog*spot, this process is a snap. Just follow the directions given (go to "Settings" then "Blog Tools" and you'll see that you can download your blog for archiving or for exporting to another service platform. The data is readable even on an older PC with an older (I'm talkin' win98 or winME) Operating System

(2) I backed up my facebook account - and kicked fb security up a notch, thank's to a tip I coincidentally happened upon during a visit to Justin's blog.
I want to make one thing clear - Specifically, when you click on "Account" you will next click on "Account Settings" NOT "Privacy Settings"If you scroll a little bit below what's displayed on the image above, you will find an option to download your facebook!

"This tool lets you download a copy of your information, including your photos and videos, posts on your Wall, all of your messages, your friend list and other content you have shared on your profile. Within this zip file you will have access to your data in a simple, browseable manner." ~ facebook

On that same page you will find security notifications. Anytime anyone tries to "break in" to a facebook account, it generates a warning that appears on-screen within that account, including the time and location of the attempt, as well as identifying the browser and operating system.

I got several "warning bells" on different levels early Friday morning, including several instances of unusual activity on my google, blogger and social networking accounts. These included unsuccessful attempts to take down my blog. I have security measures in place that are monitoring not only my networks but other instances of goings-on throughout the www. "Don't ignore anything." ~ Osama bin Laden

Blog Engage Blog Forum and Blogging Community, Free Blog Submissions and Blog Traffic, Blog Directory, Article Submissions, Blog Traffic

Tags: , , ,

Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR

1 comment:

  1. The popularity of social networking sites continues to increase, especially among teenagers and young adults. The nature of these sites introduces security risks, so you should take certain precautions.


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics