Wednesday, June 01, 2011

GPM vs. MPG

Here's a little snippet from an article that appeared in the New York Daily News, just in time to escape major notice (thanks to the timing with the Memorial Day Holiday weekend). The author is NYS Senator Daniel Squadron. I'm going to "cut to the chase"
Two families want to save money on gas. Family A upgrades from a 10 mpg to a 15 mpg light truck. Family B upgrades from a 25 mpg to a 45 mpg sedan. Over the next 1,000 miles, who has saved more gas?

If you chose Family B, you'd be like most people - and you'd be wrong. Over 1,000 miles, switching from 10 to 15 mpg will save you 33 gallons. Switching from 25 to 45 MPG will only save you 18 gallons.

Don't worry, studies show that most consumers get miles per gallon comparisons wrong, as I did when I first took the quiz. But at the dealership, getting this question wrong is bad - for your wallet and the environment.

Ultimately, the most important question for consumers is basic: Given the numbers of miles I drive (the daily commute, trips to soccer practice, the annual pilgrimage to Florida) and the type of car I need (most people are not choosing between a Hummer and a Prius), how many gallons of gas will I actually need to buy?

To answer this question correctly consumers need to know their GPM - their gallons per mile.
SO, how do you figure out your "Gallons Per Mile?"

You can either
Show Comments: OR

2 comments:

  1. Here's how to figure out your GPMS:

    GPM measures how much fuel must be burned in order to go a set distance. Multiply the sticker's listed "gallons per 100 miles" by the price of gas in your neighborhood, and you know exactly how much it will cost you to drive 100 miles - and therefore compare how much gas you would have to buy for each car on the lot.

    THANK YOU SENATOR SQUADRON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh, I'm just gonna keep my clunker! :-)

    Aloha Dave!

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics