It was quite a busy work week, but that's the way (aha, aha) I like it! As I look back, I am so amazed that I got so much done. It almost seemed as if time itself were stretching to accommodate my professional (and personal) parameters!
The fund drive is always a wonderful experience. The concurrence of events in the news, including #WeinerGate and the cliffhanger same-sex marriage issue kept us all on our toes!
I got a call from someone who had a housefire in their neighborhood caused by one of those wonderful new energy saving lightbulbs. The caller asked me if I had "ever heard of such a thing"... by that time I already Googled up the info: Patricia Watson wrote on examiner.com "could this be just the tip of the iceberg?
If they are broken in the home they become a hazard and there is the need to correctly dispose of them. And where were these recalled bulbs made? Give up? Can everyone in Mr. Roger’s neighborhood say together, “CHINA?”
These bulbs are extremely dangerous to have in children's rooms; or any lamp that is in their reach. Stories abound where these blubs have been broken and rooms had to be sealed off until they were deemed safe once again. The lamp shade must never come in contact with the bulb because of the extreme heat that could result in an instant fire."
Well that's just great! Details:
Name of product: Light Bulbs
Units: About 317,000
Manufacturer: Telstar Products d/b/a Sprint International Inc., of Brooklyn, N.Y.
Hazard: The light bulbs can overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers.
Incidents/Injuries: Telstar Products has received two reports of fires. In one incident, the fire was contained to the light fixture. The other reported incident resulted in a residential fire.
Description: This recall involves energy-saving light bulbs sold under the Telstar and Electra brand names. The bulbs were sold in two styles: spiral and the “3-Us” shape. The Telstar bulbs were sold in 20 and 23 watts with model number LB-1020 and LB-1023 printed on the packaging. The Electra bulbs were sold in 18, 20, 23, 26, 28, 30, 34, 36, 38 and 40 watts with model numbers LB-18, LB-20, LB-23, LB-26, LB-28, LB-30, LB-1018, LB-1020, LB-1023, LB-1026, LB-1134, LB-1136, LB-1138 and LB-1140 printed on the packaging. “CE 110V,” “China” and the wattage number are printed on the bulb.
IT DOESN'T STOP THERE! General Electric bulbs are also being scrutinized! From Livestrong.com: "With United States law banning incandescent bulbs taking effect in 2012, and a European Union ban in place, energy-saving bulbs sound promising, but are not without dangers.
On average, each GE energy-saving light bulb contains 5 milligrams of mercury. Mercury is a neurotoxin and classified as toxic waste. If a bulb breaks, the mercury is released into your home. Spills on carpets release dangerous levels of mercury into the air for weeks every time you disturb the area, including vacuuming. Broken and discarded fluorescent bulbs are predicted to release two to four tons of mercury into the environment every year, and in this case, the environment may include your living room."
MY ADVICE: Stock up on incandescent bulbs!
Tags: cfl bulbs fire hazard, faulty Chinese light bulbs
Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.