Monday, July 18, 2011

Are You READING The Tweets of Those YOU Follow?

Hey peeps! An awful lot of people using twitter want their "followees" to reciprocate and become their followers in turn. (And not because they're interested to read their tweets or personal life details.)

So I chirp, "what's the point of following and being followed, if no one pays much attention to the tweets?"

Anyone have comments???


For those of you entering via search engine, please review my personal twitter policy:

300 - that's my self-imposed limit for the number of people I follow on twitter. There are some social media "authorities" who recommend capping the number at 150. I find that 300 is very manage-able (for me) considering the mix of people whose tweets I care about.

Michael Fortin has addressed a couple of my pet net peeves: #1 is
Fake networking on twitter and facebook :::

Just like Twitter said when they dumped auto-follow from their native application:

“It is unlikely that any one can actu ally read tweets from thou sands of accounts which makes this activ ity disingenuous.”

Even Seth Godin calls mass-friending as “fake networking.” This applies to Facebook as much as it does to Twitter — or to any other social media application, for that matter.

There are 5 main groups of people using twitter:

(1) People and companies trying to make money tweeting a re-tweeting
example:

(2) People who perceive twitter as some sort of mass popularity contest (this includes "pretend celebrities" along with the subset of those who follow as many people as they can hoping the ones that they followed have autosoftware installed that follows back; after a week they scrub their list with software that removes all the ones who followed them during that period. So they followed , let's say, 500 and 275 followed them back... they then UNfollow the all 500 and start over, but they have netted 275 "followers" who are unlikely to notice they've been undollowed)

(3) People who use twitter as if it were AOL Instant Messenger (or glorified 'texting')

(4) People who use twitter properly: for communciation, announcements, information-sharing etc. (It's okay to have two or three ads and a few re-tweets every now and then... but not 10 every hour!)

(5) People who sign up, tweet a few times, and then go inactive.




"Active Twitter users practice a selective reading policy – we can tell by peripherally glancing at most tweets if we want to read them or not. It’s a matter of who’s doing the tweeting, if we see a link or a quote inside and the keywords that pop out at us. If people don’t want to read a tweet with links, they don’t."



Tags: ,




Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR

42 comments:

  1. I have a huge following, and it gets really tough to read all the tweets. I use tweet deck to filter just the ones I want to read. When I have some spare time, I'm going to cut about 200 from my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand people who don't follow their followers either: unless they have literally thousands upon thousands (look at Kim Kardashian, how could she possibly read the tweets of 8,355,752?) and many of those people reply to their @replies. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow everyone who follows me and I do read everyone's Tweets. I have everyone grouped into categories of things that I find interesting.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I jsut read the tweets on my home page. I don't check out everybody else's tweets. Who's got the time anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't possibly read EVERY tweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't you ever heard of speelcheck?

    "they have netted 275 "followers" who are unlikely to notice they've been undollowed)"

    ReplyDelete
  8. "speelcheck"???? Is that a Serbian blogger?
    LOL!
    You are one heck of a gasbag, Windy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the largest Russian mobile carriers Megafon and the leading Russian search engine Yandex need to explain quite a lot of things to their users today due to an unspeakable data leak as thousands of SMS messages sent via Megafon website got publicly available in Yandex search results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only read tweets from friends and my account is protected.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love twitter!

    I love to dabble on the internet, always keen to learn more and share ideas with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spend at least 5 hours a day reading all of the tweets of the people I follow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am connected to twitter 24/7. I even wake up at night and tweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too! I do spend plenty of time interacting! It's not a numbers thing, it's a relationship! A two way street and it works great for me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Twitter is my LIFE! I am always on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I quit my job to become a professional twitterer! I have 42 accounts and make hundreds of dollars a week tweeting and having my tweets re-tweeted by my peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm also a fulltime twitterer! I make over $900 a week! My latest twitter handle is Kristenyntmc. I'm based in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  18. umma titter too daddy

    DJ_Rafael

    ReplyDelete
  19. An tweeter within an organization will advance to his or her level of incompetence and remain there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. im a smart country girl stuck in the city right now. im going for my doctorate of physical therapy and eventually want to work with children. im down to earth, and im on twitter every single minute, ive even had twitter sex! put me down for lovin' you twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Roger @Herma Cloke, copy that!

    (This post is turning out to be a lotta fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! I just moved to AZ! http://twitter.com/#!/Olgamtnxb

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lesbo love rocks on twitter! I use it for all my connects! Look me up if you come to Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey there twitter mens!
    Specially older gents with money.
    I am country to the core.
    If you think Im cute let me know and give me some 10s! Yeeehah!

    ReplyDelete
  25. like anything else,
    excessive twittering
    benefits no one

    ReplyDelete
  26. Get up early everyday and tweet.
    Tweet again before you sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your pal Marzie runs around 10-15 twitter accounts and makes all kinds of mad money!

    ReplyDelete
  28. u shudnt follow anyone if yur not gonna read there tweets

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tweet Tweet Tweet!
    My bubble butt is SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ceola and Tran ain't shit. I'll make u ugly bitches my slaves! ESPECIALLY YOU MISS TEX-ASS. You'll be licking my ass!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Meow meow meow!
    Your "Lady of the Night here!" Ready for your gentle commands!

    Many Mariucans read my tweets @MariucaMPG

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have 34DD and I can whip any black or asian chick into submission!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi! I'm on twitter all the time too. i like men - m-e-n - but i love to watch girl on girl action too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi dave - do you like me - i like you - i have ass like nikki minaj

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been twittering more than usual these days! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  36. HeLLLo from PHILADELPHIA!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love playing beer pong, watching movies, listening to music, and big long

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am country to the core. If you think Im cute let me know (Maybe I'll let you see my pics)

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics