Sunday, July 03, 2011

Three Social Media Tips (Highlighted in RED)

Blogger Frank Dickinson put up a post entitled Three Social Media Mistakes And How To Fix Them... If you don't want to read the entire post, here are a few fine points, along with my comments.

FRANK: If you would not want someone coming to your “hub” and throwing up their feet on your coffee table and acting like ol’ asshole Uncle Ernie – why would you go to another bloggers’ hub and act the same way?

Blog commenting (which some have mainstreamed as blog hopping) is all about being social (yep – more on that in a sec) with your fellow blogger neighbors. It is about contributing, enhancing, developing.

It is not about taking, promoting and getting all jiggy with your wants and desires.

Do I enter my website when I leave a comment? Do I use CommentLuv when it is available on a blog?

Yes – you bet your ass I do."

ME: I don't need to use cusswords to say I will comment on a blog whether it has comment luv or not. I will comment on a blog if it doesn't display my link.

FRANK: We are all tempted to join up with the newest wizz bang phenomenon that is ready to take Social Media by storm. The newest craze comes on like a hot chick in a short skirt and lasts about as long as Aunt Gertrude in her flannel PJ’s. But, by god, we are going to join it!

Every time you do that you contribute to your Goggle (SP) paper trail.

ME : I don't think people pay all that much attention to the "paper trail" as you describe it! I joined twitter and facebook when they were brand spankin' new and forgot all about 'em - until the day they were 'hot" and I went to sign up and found I already had an account WITH THE EXACT NAME I WANTED! Rejoice!

FRANK: Social Media is about being social. It is about relationships, engagement and interaction. It is all about being a real person in a real way with other real people and their real life concerns, desires, needs and dreams.

Let me just say it straight out – if you cannot have a decent, respectful, engaging conversation with your next door neighbor and then translate that over to Social Media – heaven help you.

We don’t “do” Social Media as bloggers. We are a part of a HUGE community and we should treat each other like community members.

ME : The Blog neighborhood is not a Communist "Utopia" - just as disagreements in real life are part of analog life, they appear in digital life as well! You gotta deal with it, baby!





Blog Engage Blog Forum and Blogging Community, Free Blog Submissions and Blog Traffic, Blog Directory, Article Submissions, Blog Traffic

Tags: ,



Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR

2 comments:

  1. Social media campaign to offer your products and services outside of your community, since local happenings won't usually be a draw for long-distance clients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think building relationships on social media is the most under rated aspects of it. Something that an seo firm can't provide. Make connections with fellow bloggers. These relationships can turn in to guest blogs and name dropping on other blogs, which can generate a huge flow of legitimate traffic.

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics