Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blogs, Blog Contests and BS

It seems I've "stirred the pot" a bit around the blogosphere with my stance on blog contests (and on guest-posting): someone even called me a "...blog monster, stuck on the ridiculous blogger platform."

Bloggers: Strive for COMMUNITY!

I recall signing up for something I think was called Tribe that was supposed to bring bloggers together… guess it petered out!

I loved MyBlogLog for its community spirit – of course, yahoo pulled the plug on it…

Bloggers have to be careful to build a real COMMUNITY – and not a CLIQUE – I know of a few blogs where you see 30-50 comments on very post but on closer inspection, those comments are divided among 3 other bloggers and the host blogger… and way at the bottom the site counter says ‘you are the third visitor today” – and it’s an hour until midnight!

I did everything I could think of (but never succeeded) to try to build a blog like the one LaShawn Barber published in the mid-2000′s when she was mostly a “political blogger.” I envied her “comments” area, which was more like an interactive forum: 30 to 200 comments on each post – every one from a UNIQUE visitor!

Lastly, SOCIAL MEDIA is NOT the best way to build a blog community, although it is a useful tool. There are a lot of bloggers who shun social media – a lot of “A-list” bloggers whose digital friendship is far more valuable than a "follow" on twitter or a "friendship" on facebook!

The Blog "Contests" that measure a successful guest-post by "mentions on social media" are just plain WRONG! the system is way too easy to game!
Sushant from SmartBloggerz left a comment on my post that heavily criticzed blog contests.
Snippets from comments via Famous Bloggers:::

Author: Thomas Frank
Social proof isn't useless, but it's not particularly useful either if you're not doing things that are actually interesting. If you've got 10,000 followers, but you're following 11,000 and do nothing but auto-post RSS feeds and ask people to buy your stuff, you're doing it wrong.

Author: Barry Wheeler
I laugh when I see people flocking to those automatic follower services. John Chow put one online and I thought ... hmmm ... time to try a little experiment. I created an "account" and proceeded to get like all kinds of people who would supposedly follow me if I followed them back. Sure it worked and as he put it ... I had a "positive social proof" but the whole service was crap! It was a way for John Chow to build his email list, that's it.

Author: Wong Chendong aka The Bad Blogger
Will both Seth Godin and Tim Ferriss is already famous, so getting so much follower is no big deal to them but believe me, with so much followers, how much actually are real followers, that's the real question, to me I always believe lesser the better, what I mean is having millions of follower doesn't mean you are good at getting followers. For example Frank Kern before he release his first Mass Control, his subscriber list was less then 10,000 and by using the 10,000 he release a product that hits the million in 24 hour, look this means more followers and subscriber means nothing because the real stuff are inside the real followers, though I agree we should not waste too much time in social media, but still social media is way we can connect to the outside world.

Tags: , , ,

Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR


  1. I would rather have three regular faithful readers to interact with on my blog than 5,000 fake twitter followers.

    I would never bother enter a blog contest. The same people win over and over.

    You tell it like it is Lucas!

  2. Good job Davey Boy!


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics