Friday, August 05, 2011

Don't Become Obsessed with PageRank!

IMPROVE YOUR PAGERANK ::: Comment (or trackback) on High PR blogs that allow a link back to your blog... participate in forums relative your niche (if you have one) or to a particular topic that your blog regularly covers... it helps page rank to have your articles linking to one another, as the search engines interpret this as a sign that you have lots of good content. This also helps keep visitors on your site, as they follow one article to another.

Most people believe that the higher your Google Page Rank, the higher you and your blog will appear in search results listings. FAIL!

Page Rank was created to direct netizens toward relevant and important pages in a search. The common understanding is that the higher the page rank the better search position you take on Google.

I can attest that this is not always the case. This very blog had a PR7, then PR5, then PR4 then PR3. I found out later that as I began removing each of 4 seperately categorized blogrolls in my sidebar, my PR dropped!
Editor's Note::: You might want to check my PR in the sidebar, as it has been appearing as low as 3 and as high as 5, within the last two weeks! Keep in mind that last month Google updated the page rankings twice. This is the first time this has happened; usually an adjustment is done once in six months.
But at the same time, I began attracting more and more and more traffic from Google - and my posts were placing higher and higher and higher in searches! Right now I have the lowest PR ever, and the highest number of incoming hits from Google! Indeed, my visitor stats have never been higher: this blog has recently been through three seperate "heat waves" where daily traffic apporached or exceeded 2,000 hits!

Other bloggers may either envy or sneer at your PR - there are a few techniques that some claim will help boost PR:

1. Join an interblogospherial advertising program, such as Entrecard, cmf ads or Adgitize. Get active in whichever one you choose. You don't have to overdo it! I know of one Entrecard affiliate blog where you can exchange more than 1000 EC credits on any given day to display your widget on their blog, yet they only "drop" on 10-20 blogs a day. HINT: You have to be selective about which blogs you drop on! I'm not going to give any secrets away, nor will I sell any. It's up to you to figure out how to do it!

2. You've heard this one before: become a "guest blogger" and write as many QUALITY articles as you can for blogs that solicit or accept guest posts. WARNING: NEVER submit the same guest-post to two different blogs. You'll end up totally banned all across the blogosphere!

3. Submit your links to as many web directories as possible, at least 30-50 per week. Also use to load your links on search engines for maximum effect! There's also digg, StumbleUpon and reddit!

4. If you are selling a product create an affiliate program where others sell or re-sell your product. This system is the one "guru bloggers" swear by! Your "affiliates" will place your links on their blogs which point back to your blog, a one-way link. (Links pointing to your blog are critically important in the page rank system, as each link is counted as a vote to your blog or website!)

Tags: ,

Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics