Sunday, August 21, 2011

Guest Blogging (what you should know)

There is a sketchy new trend permeating through the blogosphere...

The "Guest Blogger" is not a new phenomenon. But the way some are approaching the concept of "guest blogging" is muddying the time-honoured tradition.

I recommend the following:

1. If you want to be a guest blogger, do it on a blog and in a setting where you will be recognized and appreciated for your authority/talent/contribution.

2. DO NOT BEG to wite a guest-post for another blog.

3. EVALUATE "OPPORTUNITIES" AND INVITATIONS WITH CARE - If another blogger approaches you to write a guest-post, check out their blog first. Would you WANT to have an example of your work posted on it? Are you concerned about PageRank and other numbers? If yes, check out THIS ARTICLE and see if you can use a few of the tools listed to help you decide whether to go forward.

4. ASK ABOUT COPYRIGHT - reserve and preserve your rights to your own original material.

5. BE PATIENT - "good things come to those who wait" applies here. Keep up with the interests and projects of bloggers you like. Comment on their blogs. Link back to them. Interact whenever possible. Whether you think so or not, they're looking at your stuff. They may never publicly acknowledge you, but you are on their mind!

6. DON'T BLINDLY JOIN BLOGGING GROUPS OR OTHER NETWORKS
- if you must, ask yourself "what is this network going to do for ME ME ME?"

7. DON'T GET WRAPPED UP IN "GUEST BLOGGING BS" ::: OR OTHER NONSENSE
::: if you need MONEY to keep your blog going (and maybe yourself too) there are many many ways to make it on the net. You're as unlikely to win a "pie-in-the-sky blogging contest" as your are to win the Irish Sweepstakes Lottery.

Tags: ,





Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR

6 comments:

  1. I post my articles from my website on a blogging community. I thought this would help me build some relationships with other bloggers which it has done. However, I'm disappointed that people vote, and so do I, to get published on this site. I've been asked to guest blog and have a post ready. I'm just wondering, after reading this, if all community blogs are a bad idea. If not all are bad, which can you recommend? I have been wondering about this topic for a while now. Thanks for the article. Sally Brown http://www.speakingoflove.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. @S. Brown :::

    Community blogs are NOT a bad idea - but you must choose the one that is best suited for your purposes. I highly recommend both famousbloggers.net and blogengage.com

    Get to know each service and explore the points of each that appeal to you. They are straight-up professionally run, and the admins are friendly, helpful and will encourage you as you find your place in the blogosphere!

    If you're on twitter, many of the bloggers on these two "communities" interact there as well!

    Good Luck, Blog On!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the info. I am currently on blogengage and really enjoy it. I've just published my first guest blog there. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips indeed. At a time when many bloggers will jump at an opportunity to guest post on many blogs you've just laid out a strategy that when followed will bring success indeed. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics