Monday, August 29, 2011

These are the best (and worst) of times...

Since my first blog debuted in 2001, I have written and published more than 12,000 individual blog articles. That's a lot of material!

Blogging has helped me hone my writing/reporting skills, developing a method of crafting and drafting stories, evolving those skills into a style which has become my journalistic trademark.

As the world moves and changes around us, the pace of history and climactic events seems to demand more of our concern - thanks to the instant communication available via the internet.

When I was a boy I was given an old broken transistor pocket radio. Embellished by my imagination, the device became fodder for my imagination: I decorated it with a cardboard "tv screen" and I pretended that I could use the device not only to listen to AM radio broadcats, but police radio and short wave as well... Furthermore, i could use it to make audo and video recordings, watch and record TV progtrams, hold telephone conversations, and by pressing a prticular button - consult a roadmap which would miraculously appear on the screen! (One day, my father smashed the device, remarking something to the effect that it - and I - were 'stupid').
As a small child, I often dreamed of being a TV or radio personality - I even made up a "professional name" - calling myself "MIKE ROSE" - funny how I knew my direction in life at such an early age.
I wonder if all human minds contain archetypal imagination which we as children are taught to suppress and stifle - while certain individuals like DaVinci, Nostradamus, Ben Franklin and Tesla were able to somehow keep their minds open to the universe of existing possibilities.

Communal (shared) knowledge has grown thanks to the unimpeded breakout growth of technology.

Lest ye forget ::: a natural disaster or nuclear war could wipe all of this out in a minute. Human civilization, old as it is, is but a fragile experiment.

there will be wind.
there will be hot, cold,
disease and pestilence.
there will be joy,
there will be sorrow,
feast and famine.
most assuredly there will be death.
such is LIFE.
~ anonymous

The TECHNIUM ::: "We have just begun to fiddle with social communications. Hypertext, wi-fi, GPS location services are just the beginning. The majority of the most amazing communication inventions that are possible have not been invented yet. We are also just in the infancy of turning on at a truly global scale. When we are woven together into a global real-time society, the impossibilities will really start to erupt. It is not necessary that we invent some kind of autonomous global consciousness. It is only necessary that we connect everyone to everyone else. Hundreds of miracles that seem impossible today will be possible with this shared human awareness..."

Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics