Friday, September 23, 2011

Goodbye cmf ads

Farewell, cmf ads.

I was shocked when I read the news on Karen's blog that this incredible little service was calling it quits...
To boot, they're kicking the membership in the teeth: Features Disabled Due to CMF Ads Closure. Wow! That was quick!

I tried to cash out. Wouldn't let me. But then I read this:
"We will be introducing a new cashout process after September 25th, which will allow you to cash out your entire balance before the site closes. At this stage, the minimum cashout will be dropped to $1.00."
Thank God for small favours!

I left a comment on the cmf blog "Why do the good things always have to go?" And this leaves me now to re-think the whole widget-presentation experience.

Alternatives?

Certainly not Project Wonderful or Adgitize. They're very clique-y and mostly comprised of "blogging gurus" and "wannabee bloggers."

Entrecard. You can't make money, but can make friends. Lots of friends!

Blog Engage. I love Brian, the guy behind Blog Engage. I don't have a lot of time to try to figure out the layers of instructions that come with the services Brian offers. And as far as being judged on how many tweets or likes something gets, that is as utterly nonsensical as when Technorati shot itself in the foot circa 2006 when the geniuses there demonstrated just how out of touch they were when they declared that MySpace pages were blogs! That ruined the whole T'rati experience for a lot of people...

I think they're still trying to get back a lot of the credibility lost. I think it damaged any business model they may have had as well. Prior to that action, I used to get anywhere from 200 to 500 visitors to my blog PER DAY via Technorati. That went to ZERO when MySpace pages suddenly became "blogs."

Technorati is coming back:

Every year, you help us make State of the Blogosphere the most comprehensive resource for bloggers, and about bloggers. The 2011 survey is live, and your input is critical. http://www.psasurveys.com/detect.aspx?I.Project=a18214

We'd love for you to share some information about blogging as your passion or your profession, that we can then share back with you, the bloggers, and everyone who is interested in you. It should take just 15 minutes of your time.

The more responses we get the better the data we can deliver to you, so please share this link with other bloggers. http://www.psasurveys.com/detect.aspx?I.Project=a18214

Look for the full study on technorati.com on Monday, November 7.

On Friday November 4, Technorati Media CEO Shani Higgins will unveil the findings live, exclusively at BlogWorld & New Media Expo in Los Angeles.


Tags: ,



Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.

5 comments:

Ben said...

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points...

You probably weren't able to cash out due to the $5.00 cashout limit - this was in place before the closure was announced. As you saw, we'll be allowing cashouts as low as $1.00 once the new cashout changes are in place.

I do agree, the changes went in quickly. But this was for things like disabling the ability to add a blog, which I think makes sense if we are closing. I think it'd be misleading if we accepted any more blogs at this stage.

All ads are still running until they expire - it's just that we had to block new ads from being placed. Otherwise, you could very well place an ad the day before we closed, which would mean more admin work for us in closing off all those ads prematurely, and then we'd need to allow a longer grace period for cashing out.

We went for a phased approach to try and give members the opportunity to say their goodbyes and get their funds out of the system.

I'm really sorry to you and everyone else who is disappointed by the decision to close.

John said...

It's a shame to see CMF close. It's been a fantastic ad network. :-(

I think the features are disabled so all ads complete by the closure date.

jj-momscashblog said...

Luckily I guess, I've never signed up w/ cmf ads. Although I am sorry for never even looking into it as a choice to make a little extra money. However as far as Technorati is concerned, I'm very unhappy with them and the way they run their business. I have been with them for around 3-4 years and suddenly I wanted to look at my account... for some strange reason password and username would not work. One can not get in touch with anyone from Technorati. They have you jumping through hoops or rather typing your complaint to other users and they in turn will help you ... Right! I'm so mad at Technorati I could scream. Thanks for letting me use your floor to voice my opinion. Didn't have a choice did ya? lol Can anyone answer the question of why Google, Technorati the whole bunch of million dollar makers, can't get an email address for help and or complaints? Think a phone system will ever appear at any of these websites? NO. jj

Electronics News said...

It's sad to hear that cmf is closing....

Dave Lucas said...

Thanks for all your comments, folks!

@BEN ::: I was shocked, ben... I thought cmf was doing well. I wonder what that says about the other services.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics