Courtesy of: Bloggers Required
OTL Boston Live Events Subscription Club

Monday, October 17, 2011

CLOUD COMPUTING PRO AND CON

Aviators in the early age of flight were often warned "watch the clouds." That bit of old analog advice is something every person online should take to heart.

I'm planning to purchase a new laptop in the next 6 months. The machine I select will have to meet my unique needs as both a broadcast journalist and a blogger. One of the net's recent techno marvels is the concept of "cloud computing" where everything is stored somewhere on some server in cyberland. This is a blessing and a curse. If you can't get online, or if the internet were to be hacked out of existence for a couple of weeks, you would have ZERO access to anything!
Google works for me! And now it's working for SUNY New Paltz
I prefer to have as much as possible STORED on my computer! That goes for emails, blogs, photos, videos, etc. Sure, I'll have them stowed away "up there" - but it is always best to keep files saved you can work on stuff if you cannot get online!

You can store and access gmail, your gmail calendar, facebook & twitter, your blog*spot or wordpress blog, right on your machine. I have all of these files "locked" in a password-protected file on my pc.

Working With Google Calendar and Google Phone

I have the ability to "read" by blog*spot blog, which I have also been converting to
WP - kinda like the old Radioland blog system... Here's the software I've been using ::: Design your WordPress website on your own PC


I still get flack from some bloggers as to why I would want to use blog*spot and Google. well, duh kids, after last week's performance on the stock market (and I understand that Google could be nothing ten years from now, just as Netcape is nothing today) I am very glad I stuck it out with the BIG G!
Show Comments: OR

2 comments:

  1. It's an brilliant post, great and useful sharing of your opinions....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes you are so fassinatin' babe

    ReplyDelete


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics