Saturday, October 01, 2011

Dual Economy

I have written before that if you wanna jump-start the economy, lower gasoline prices at the pump by a dollar a gallon... but nobody seems to understand that!

This week local gas prices in the Capital District were as low as $3.59 a gallon. Only 20 cents lower tha $3.79, but psychological stuff is going on here. If only those prices would fall!

Wall Street was rocked this week in more ways than one. Stocks closed out the market's biggest quarterly drop since the financial crisis in 2008 with a triple-digit dive in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The Dow shed 240.60 points, or 2.2%, to 10913.38. The Standard & Poor's 500-stock index shed 28.98 points, or 2.5%, to 1131.42, putting the measure's quarterly loss at 14%. The Nasdaq Composite tumbled 65.36 points, or 2.6%, to 2415.40, for a 13% quarterly fall. The two indexes each also posted their worst quarterly drops since the fourth quarter of 2008. [detailed analysis]

More bad news ::: Home prices are unlikely to recover before 2020 and mortgage defaults will persist for years, says a survey of bank risk managers out Friday.

Haves vs. Have-Nots

While driving to work one day last week I was twirling the radio dial and landed on WCBS 880am where a presenter was mentioning that the US "now has a dual economy: those with jobs and those without."

That was the first time I ever heard our current economic situation described in that way, and it really got me thinking.

If you have a job, you're lucky. Whether you are the CEO at some big company or you're a security guard at the local gym. You are working. Now you have to figure out a way to budget, make ends meet, and live with some degree of comfort.

You may not have prosperity, but you have security, as long as you stay employed.

Finance ministers warned recently that "time is running out to find a solution to the eurozone crisis and prevent another global recession."


Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics