Saturday, October 22, 2011

End of the line for Number Nine

Sign of the Times:

The venerable Number Nine lumbers along Whitehall Road in Albany on a warm October afternoon...

203 is a 2000 Orion VI CNG, originally CDTA 2027 from Albany. (Old CDTA buses are sometimes sold and shipped to other places, like Broome County)

Very soon, if I want to take the bus to work (or home from work), I will have to pay twice as much for a one-way trip that will take three times as long.

When an institution like Friendly's dries up and an icon like the US Postal Service's future is in doubt, it's no wonder we're seeing things disappear that we thought would always be there.

CDTA killing off bus Route #9 in Albany makes no sense. The demise of the Whitehall line leaves a large stretch of the city without convenient crosstownbus service.

Insiders tell me part of the reason #9 is being deleted because top officials have egg on their faces after extending Route #6 across Whitehall Road. Nobody rides #6 along Whitehall... empty bus after empty bus lumbers by every day... of course, folks headed downtown toward Delaware Avenue will now have no other choice but to take #6, which approaches downtown from a completely different direction, and goes nowhere near the Lark-Washington hub.

As a frequent rider on #9, I can tell you people DID ride the bus! The smart move would have been to cut back #9's hours of operation - run the line 6am-9am and 3pm-6pm. But, no... so the only way I could take the bus to work (a trip that used to take about 15 minutes) I would have to take the #6 on its roundabout route to downtown Albany, then pay an additional fare to catch another bus out of downtown up Central Avenue. (Sometimes you have to wait for those buses almost 20 minutes, and then they'll come in a bunch of three, sometimes four, and once last winter FIVE all at once!)

The thriving Whitehall Road line was crippled years ago when CDTA cut service: #9 used to run every 30 minutes in either direction. Before Partridge Street became one-way, Whitehall-Partridge would cross Woodlawn Avenue about two minutes before Whitehall-Morton would cross from the other direction. It was like clockwork, in a time before the GPS, the "green light holder" and the computer.

(left) A vintage 1938 Mack bus on an Albany-Troy run - many of these old Macks were in still in use thru the early 1950s...

I doubt anyone will ride CDTA's new "neighborhood" routes that don't really seem to go where people need to get to. I predict they will quietly die out within a year.

As Weird Al would say, "Another one rides the bus." NOT!


Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics