Sunday, October 30, 2011

Feeling Powerless This Morning?

In storm situations (and other emergencies) you really should have a few items readily available:

(1) A spare battery for your cell phone (which you have already charged up in anticipation of a coming storm or event)
(otional) A fully-charged portable or mini-tv (not that the new digital models can receive very much, if anything off air these days) - I always laugh when the TV news anchors say "If the power goes out we'll still be here" - haha - the 2011 twist on this is "download our app and watch us on your cellphone." But they don't realize a lot of people either have no clue how to download apps or even how to find them, while a lot more people own cellphones that don't do apps!
(2) A couple of those small multi-band radios with the alternative power supplies, hand-crank and built-in flashlight. RADIO is how you will ideally get your info. My radio has a carrying strap so I just toss it over my shoulder and I'm good to go.

(3) The blankets, drinking water, extra batteries and all the "emergency stuff" you've been told for years to have on hand in case of emergency.

(4) THERMOS containers... we always prepare delicious meals that will still be tasty whether lukewarm or cold (Pizza, Lasagna, Meat Loaf, Roast Beef, etc.) and make a couple pots of coffee... just in case.

(5) Charge up your laptop or netbook before the storm or event - if you have a spare battery, charge that baby up as well... make sure you have something like Virgin Mobile Broadband because Time-Warner cable is always unavailable during weather evenys or other natural disasters... you should also have a USB phone modem adapter if your house still has a landline telephone, so you can still connect by dial-up (those old telephone lines are STEALTH - I can't remember a power outage or weather disaster in my ENTIRE LIFE here in New York when the home phone line went down. Of ocurse you'd need to have an existing account with a dial-up ISP (I use localnet.com).

Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment


COMMENTING CHARGES
Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

WAIT, WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TO COMMENT?
Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

I NEED TO BE HEARD! BUT I DONT WANT TO PAY.
Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.

IMPORTANT:

Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics