Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Guest Posting Secrets

"I am still amazed when I receive [guest]posts stuffed to the gills with targeted keywords. This isn’t 2003: Google “gets” (and penalizes) keyword stuffing…" ~

Those crafty blogging gurus are at it again! Seemingly hell-bent on turning blogs into "splogs," this time, they are embracing "guest posting" and I'll bet it won't be long before one of them comes up with a $27 PDF on "How To Write A Winning Guest Post" (maybe they've already done that...) !!!
No doubt, guest-posting was a hot commodity in 2009 and all of the A-list bloggers had jumped on the concept by 2010. Time for you to WAKE UP, sheeple-bloggers! It's almost 2012, and the self-proclaimed blogging gurus are hijacking the idea!
On her excellent blog, Traffic Generation Cafe, Ana Hoffman writes ::: October 3, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Guest posting is great when done right, Chris; that’s for sure.

I am getting a bit frustrated though to see so many low-quality guest post submissions coming my way; it takes me more time to get through them and give the writers’ my feedback, then for me to just write my own…

Haha! No kidding, Ana!- thanks to the gurus making gods out of "guest posters" you can expect to receive a LANDSLIDE of shitty guest-post submissions in the near future!

The other thing to WORRY ABOUT when accepting guest-posts is the uniqueness ::: the originality, the accuracy and the base quality of such offerings. Unfortunately, many of these writers only equate “original” with “unpublished”… and that’s led to many situations in which I’ve had to either ask for (sometimes substantial) revisions, or just reject the post outright.

Now what about WRITING guest-posts?

A Standard To Blog By

Kevin Muldoon blogs ::: "From a traffic point of view, guest posting on different URLs is better. It will increase your authority on search engines and raise awareness of you, your website or brand, as they will be exposed to a larger audience."

Guest-posting may also end up exposing you for the fool you are.

My 2 cents ::: "guest post" on your own blog! Hone your craft, develop a following and earn honest recognition from other bloggers.

Don't be a beggar! IF THEY WANT YOU TO WRITE A GUEST POST, THEY WILL ASK YOU! If that happens, you've got the golden key in your hand! Get going and write!But be forewarned: one guest-post invite will lead to another... and another... and another!

I’m delighted when asked to write a guest post. I never ever volunteer, especially not on splogs or on the various “farm” sites appearing on WordPress and LinkedIn, because I just don’t have the time.

Tags: ,

Permission to reprint this blog post in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author (or authors) and Dave Lucas are properly cited. Permission to reprint any comments below is granted only for those comments written by Dave Lucas and staff.
Show Comments: OR


  1. Dave!!
    I agree with you 110%!!!!!!!
    Guest-posting used to be an honor. It was like being asked to guest-host "Saturday Night Live." Today it's become more like selling your body on the street.

  2. Hey Dave - nice work - you summed it up --- youknew exactly what I was thinking--- those blog gurus must hate u! ;)

  3. They don't like me 'cos I'm a straight-shooter

  4. Best advice yet!

  5. Hi Dave, I stopped by after reading your comment on ProfitBlog.com. You are down on this idea, but isn't this a great way to get high quality backlinks? Since Google is penalizing sites for having backlinks from blog networks, and automated submissions to article directories, it gets harder to create good backlinks.

  6. Dee - just do everything else you can and always beware of and informed about what Google abd Bing and other search engines concerns are!

    BLOG ON!


Per comment rate: $2
Payable by either clicking the BitCoin "tip me" button or the PayPal "donate" button in the sidebar.

Because, like the fine publication Tablet, whom I borrowed this concept from, I too am committed to bringing you the best, smartest, most enlightening and entertaining reporting and writing I'm able to provide, all free of charge. I take pride in my loyal readership, and I'm thrilled that you choose to engage with me in a way that is both thoughtful and thought-provoking. But the Internet, for all of its wonders, poses challenges to civilized and constructive discussion, allowing vocal—and, often, anonymous—minorities to drag it down with invective (and worse).

I'm asking people who'd like to post comments on my blog to pay a nominal fee—less a paywall than a gesture of your own commitment to the cause of great conversation. All proceeds go to helping me bring you the provocative and/or entertaining articles that brought you here in the first place.

Readers can still interact with me FREE of charge via Facebook comments and Google+ comments! You can also reach me via Twitter @davelucas

I hope this new largely symbolic measure will help create a more pleasant and cultivated environment for all! Those of you who choose to contribute, thanks for your support.


Your comment will appear after you have made your donation.

All IP addresses are logged.

Your comment will not appear immediately as all messages are vetted before publication.

PS - Any more questions? Check out my Policy & Terms of Use FAQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics